Nigel Paul Villarete
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nigel Paul C. Villarete|
|General Manager of the Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority|
October 26, 2010
|Preceded by||B. Gen. Danilo Francia (Ret.)|
|City Planning and Development Coordinator of Cebu City|
July 1, 2003 – October 25, 2010
|Succeeded by||Ma. Concepcion T. Encabo|
|Born||Nigel Paul Villarete
September 18, 1962
Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
|Political party||Bando Osmeña - Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK), Liberal Party (Philippines)|
|Spouse(s)||Emma Cañazares Villarete|
|Children||Samuel Ken C. Villarete|
|Alma mater||Asian Institute of Technology
Cebu Institute of Technology
University of the Philippines - School of Urban and Regional Planning (SURP)
|Profession||Civil Engineer, Urban Planner, Transport Economist|
Nigel Paul C. Villarete (born September 18, 1962) is a Filipino civil engineer and urban planner. He is the General Manager of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA), located in Mactan Island, Lapu-lapu City, Cebu, Philippines, and the Chief Executive Officer of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA).
Prior to his appointment to MCIA, Villarete served as the City Administrator of Cebu City in 2001 to 2003, and its City Planning and Development Coordinator from 2003 to 2010. He was also Chief of the Infrastructure Development Division of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) – Regional Office No. 7 in 1989 to 1994. He is a Member of the Board of Civil Engineers of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) of the Republic of the Philippines.
Villarete completed his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE), magna cum laude, from the Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT) in 1983. He earned his Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) from the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) in Bangkok, Thailand in 1986. In 1999, he completed hi Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning (DURP) from the University of the Philippines – School of Urban and Regional Planning (UP-SURP) in Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines.
Villarete started his engineering career in the academe, as a Member of the Faculty, Civil Engineering Department of the Cebu Institute of Technology in 1983. In 1986, he was appointed as the Head of the Civil Engineering Department, College of Engineering and Architecture, of the University of the Visayas (UV) in Cebu City, Philippines.
In 1989, he was appointed as Monitoring and Evaluation Engineer of the Province of Cebu, and later was appointed as Chief of Infrastructure of NEDA Reg. 7, a post he held until 1994. In 1995, Villarete then became the Manager for Planning, Studies, and Development (PSAD) Division, of SCHEMA Konsult, Inc. (SKI) – Cebu Office. In 1999, he was also appointed as Senior Lecturer II at the University of the Philippines Visayas – Cebu College (UPVCC), Management Division, and taught Urban Planning subjects until 2010.
In 2001, then Mayor Tomas Osmeña appointed Villarete as City Administrator of Cebu City. After two years, Osmeña appointed Villarete as City Planning and Development Coordinator, a position he held until October 25, 2010, when he was appointed as General Manager of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport, CEO of MCIAA. During his term in the Cebu City Government, former mayor Osmeña had particularly tasked Villarete with the city's two major projects: as Project Manager of the South Reclamation Project (SRP), and as Project Development Officer of the Cebu City Bus Rapid Transit (BRT). He publicly stated his preference for Villarete to stay with the project. In September 2009, Nigel Paul Villarete was appointed by former Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo as a Member of the Board of Civil Engineering, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC), which is the official Philippine Government agency who gives the Licensure Examination for the professional practice of Civil Engineering, and to regulate the practice of the profession under the Civil Engineering Law.
Following his election as the fifteenth president of the Republic of the Philippines last May 10, 2010, President Benigno Aquino III has selected Nigel Paul C. Villarete to head the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA). This move was supported by the Liberal Party (President Aquino's party) in Cebu and by Cebu City's incumbent mayor, Michael L. Rama, who stated his support for Villarete, in response to Cebu Provincial Governor Gwendolyn Garcia who stated that the Presidential endorsement was not assurance for Villarete. He was selected by the MCIAA Board on October 20, 2010, and on October 26, 2010, Nigel Paul Villarete assumed office as the Chief Executive Officer of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) replacing Brigadier General Danilo Francia (Ret.). The appointment was welcomed by Governor Gwen Garcia.
- "Sectoral and Attached Agencies". Dotc.gov.ph. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Asian Institute of Technology, School of Engineering and Technology, CENews Archive Vol. 7, No. 1, January 2004 - Villarete Expands Public Service in Cebu City (http://www.set.ait.ac.th/news/cenews_archive/stories/news_0403.html)
- Linette C. Ramos, Sun*Star Daily, October 22, 2010, "9 years of waiting," http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/9-years-waiting
- Republic of the Philippines - Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Portal - Board Composition for Civil Engineering, http://www.prc.gov.ph/portal_articles.asp?pid=41&sid=122
- "AIT Alumni Information". Asdu.ait.ac.th. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Jessica Ann R. Pareja/The Freeman, October 29, 2010, "Tomas wants Villarete to stay with BRT project," http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=625212&publicationSubCategoryId=107
- Fe Marie D. Dumaboc and Candeze R. Mongaya, Cebu Daily News, Oct. 29, 2010, "Osmeña wants Villarete to still help push BRT project," http://cdn.ph/news_details.php?id=7699
- Professional Regulation Commission (PRC), November 2010 CIVIL ENGINEER LICENSURE EXAMINATION RESULTS RELEASED IN THREE (3) DAYS, November 24, 2010, http://www.prc.gov.ph/articles.asp?sid=4&aid=3944
- Republic Act No. 544* (As Amended by R.A. 1582) An Act to Regulate the Practice of Civil Engineering in the Philippines, PRC website, http://www.prc.gov.ph/documents/CIVIL%20ENGINEERING%20LAW.PDF
- US News Agency / Asian, "P-Noy names four Cebuanos to Mactan airport board," http://www.usnewslasvegas.com/provincial/p-noy-names-four-cebuanos-to-mactan-airport-board/
- Positive News Media, "P-Noy names four Cebuanos to Mactan airport board," http://positivenewsmedia.net/am2/publish/Business_19/P-Noy_names_four_Cebuanos_to_Mactan_airport_board.shtml
- Elias O. Baquero, Jujemay G. Awit, Sun*Star Cebu, "PNoy names 4 airport reps," http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/pnoy-names-4-airport-reps
- Edison delos Angeles, Cebu Daily News, 09/22/2010, "LP backs Villarete as airport manager," http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/news/view/20100922-293662/LP-backs-Villarete-as-airport-manager
- Jessica Ann R. Pareja/The Freeman), September 22, 2010, "Rama vs Villarete on airport management," http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=614265&publicationSubCategoryId=107
- Gregg M. Rubio/The Freeman, October 02, 2010, "For MCIAA General Manager: Presidential endorsement not assurance for Villarete," http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=617232&publicationSubCategoryId=107
- Doris C. Bongcac/Cebu Daily News, October 21, 2010, "AIRPORT’S NEW BOSS: Cebuano engineer to manage Mactan international airport," http://cdn.ph/news_details.php?id=7611
- Marian Z. Codilla, Cebu Daily News, 10/27/2010, "Villarete sworn in as Mactan airport chief," http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/news/view/20101027-299999/Villarete-sworn-in-as-Mactan-airport-chief
- Ricardo R. Flores Jr., Sun*Star Daily, October 23, 2010, "Gwen welcomes Paul Villarete as new airport GM," http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/gwen-welcomes-paul-villarete-new-airport-gm
- Dale G. Israel and Fe Marie Dumaboc, Philippine Daily Inquirer/Cebu Daily News, "Garcia respects board choice of Villarete as airport chief," http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/news/view/20101023-299259/Garcia-respects-board-choice-of-Villarete-as-airport-chief