Niklas Natt och Dag
|Born||Niklas Carl Bosson Natt och Dag|
3 October 1979
|Genre||Crime fiction, horror fiction, mystery fiction, historical fiction|
|Subject||Crime, thriller, mystery|
|Notable work||Bellman noir (Jean Mickel Cardell) series|
|Notable awards||2018 Book of the Year by Bonniers Bokklubb|
Niklas Carl Bosson Natt och Dag (born October 3, 1979, in Stockholm) is a Swedish novelist. He debuted with the acclaimed historical detective novel The Wolf and the Watchman, the first part of the Bellman noir (Jean Mickel Cardell) trilogy, followed by The City Between the Bridges and 1795.
Born to the Natt och Dag Swedish noble family, from 2000 until 2003 Niklas studied in Kalmar, Sweden. Between October 2006 and October 2008, he worked as the editor-in-chief of the Slitz magazine, after which he switched to freelance work.
He made his book debut in 2017 with The Wolf and the Watchman (original title: 1793), the first part of the Bellman noir (Jean Mickel Cardell) trilogy, also known as Winge und Cardell ermitteln in German-speaking countries. The book was named the "Best Swedish debut of 2017" by the Swedish Crime Writers' Academy. At the 2018 Gothenburg Book Fair the book was additionally awarded the Crimetime Specsavers Award for the best detective debut, as well as voted the Book of the Year in the Bonniers Bokklubb annual competition. The rights to the book have been sold to over 30 countries.
In April 2019 the audiobook version read by Martin Wallström was awarded the Stora Ljudbokspriset Best Novel prize at Storytel Awards. The second part of the trilogy, The City Between the Bridges (original title: 1794), was published in September 2019.
In 2021 the final installment in the trilogy was published under the original name 1795.
In May 2023 the second and third books of the trilogy, 1794 and 1795, were awarded the Mystery Writers of Japan Award for Mystery Fiction in Translation.
- 2017 – The Wolf and the Watchman (original title: 1793)
- 2019 – The City Between the Bridges (original title: 1794)
- 2021 – 1795 (original title: 1795)
- Anna von Friesen (12 October 2017). "1793 – flying start for a historical suspense debut". Boktugg. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Niklas Natt and Day: If anyone reads the books as violent pornography, I have failed". DN.SE (in Swedish). 2021-09-19. Retrieved 2021-10-15.
- "Best Swedish Debut". Swedish Crime Writers' Academy. Retrieved 23 July 2022.
- "Niklas Natt och Dag wins big at the 2018 Book and Library Fair". Bonnierförlagen. 26 November 2017. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "1793 - Salomonsson Agency". Salomonsson Agency. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Sölve Dahlgren (4 April 2019). "Here are all the winners in the 2019 Storytel Awards". Boktugg. Retrieved 3 January 2020.
- "1794". Bokförlaget Forum. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Honorary Awards – Cultural Life – Stockholm City". Stockholms stad. 2020-05-15. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- Hirschfeldt, Måns (2021-09-23). "Review: 1795 by Niklas Natt och Dag". Sveriges Radio (in Swedish). Retrieved 2021-10-15.
- "Mystery Writers of Japan is pleased to announce a new award for Mystery Fiction in Translation". www.mystery.or.jp. Mystery Writers of Japan, Inc. 2023-04-27. Retrieved 14 May 2023.
- "第76回日本推理作家協会賞受賞作決定". www.mystery.or.jp (in Japanese). Mystery Writers of Japan, Inc. 2023-05-11. Retrieved 14 May 2023.