North Carolina Central Eagles men's basketball
|North Carolina Central Eagles|
|University||North Carolina Central University|
|Head coach||LeVelle Moton (9th season)|
|Location||Durham, North Carolina|
|Colors||Maroon and Gray
|NCAA Tournament champions|
|NCAA Tournament Final Four|
|NCAA Tournament Elite Eight|
|NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen|
|NCAA Tournament second round|
|1957*, 1988*, 1989*, 1990*, 1993*|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|1957*, 1988*, 1989*, 1990*, 1993*, 1996*, 1997*, 2014, 2017
*at Division II level
|Conference tournament champions|
|1946, 1950* (CIAA)
2014, 2017 (MEAC)
|Conference regular season champions|
|2014, 2015, 2017 (MEAC)|
The North Carolina Central Eagles men's basketball team is the basketball team that represents North Carolina Central University, which is located in Durham, North Carolina, United States. The team currently competes in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
Prior to 2011, the Eagles competed in NCAA Division II and won the 1989 NCAA Men's Division II Basketball Championship. For much of the university's tenure in Division II, the school (formerly "North Carolina College") was a member of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
Eagles in the NBA
NBA & ABA players who attended North Carolina Central.
- Lee Davis - Selected in the 10th round by the Phoenix Suns in the 1968 NBA Draft
- Sam Jones - Selected 8th overall by the Boston Celtics in the 1957 NBA Draft
- David Young - Selected in the 2nd round by the Seattle SuperSonics in the 2004 NBA Draft
Eagles in the Hall of Fame
Two Eagles have been selected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Sam Jones - former NCCU player - inducted as a player in 1984
- John McClendon - former NCCU coach - inducted as a coach in 1979
NCAA Division I tournament results
The Eagles have appeared in the NCAA Division I Tournament twice. Their combined record is 0–2.
|2014||Second Round||Iowa State||L 75–93|
|2017||First Four||UC Davis||L 63–67|
The Eagles have appeared in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) one time. Their record is 0–1.
|2015||First Round||Miami (FL)||L 71–75|
NCAA Division II tournament results
The Eagles have appeared in the NCAA Division II Tournament seven times. Their combined record is 10–6. They were Division II National Champions in 1989.
Mount St. Mary's
L 65–66 OT
National Championship Game
Southeast Missouri State
L 88–95 OT
Cal State Bakersfield
|1996||First Round||Pfeiffer||L 62–71|
|1997||Regional Semifinals||Saint Augustine's||L 66–78|
- North Carolina Central University – Mascot Graphic Standards Manual (PDF). Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- CIAA official site
- NCCU Gains Full NCAA Division I Membership. Published: Thursday, August 11, 2011.
- 2013-14 NC Central Media Guide
|This college basketball-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a basketball team in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|