North Kesteven School
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chair of Governors||Martyn Taylor|
|DfE URN||136871 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Houses||Tennyson, Boole, Newton, Ruston, Byrd, Swift|
The school has around 1400 pupils, aged 11 to 18, and offers GCSE, A Level and Btec certificates in the fields of Technologies, Arts, History, Geography, Business Studies and Modern Foreign Languages. The school is adjacent to Robert Pattinson School on the west side of Moor Lane. Next door (on the same site) to the west is North Kesteven Leisure Centre and the Terry O'Toole Theatre. The sports centre is used by the school during normal school hours. It essentially is the school gym. Recently, the school has offered a breakfast service from 8.15am.
The school was founded as a grammar school, the North Kesteven Grammar School, in 1961, when administered by the County of Lincoln - Parts of Kesteven Education Committee, based in Sleaford. It had moved into a new building in January 1961 with 600 boys and girls.
It became a comprehensive school in 1970 with 1200 boys and girls. From April 1974, it was administered by Lincolnshire. It became a grant maintained school in April 1992 and a foundation school in September 1999. A sixth form complex opened in 1999.
It has been designated a specialist Arts College in performing arts since September 2000. As part of the commitment to the arts, the Arts Complex was opened in September 2002, which included the 250-seat Terry O'Toole Theatre.
The school was awarded academy status in 2010.
Compared to many schools in nearby Lincoln, NK School gets better results - 50% of pupils get 5 grades A-C including English and Maths at GCSE. It gets comparable results to Robert Pattinson, and the sixth form is shared as the North Hykeham Joint Sixth Form.
Notable former pupils
- Kelly Adams - actress
- Jonathan Kerrigan - actor
- Capt Dan Shepherd of the Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group of the 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment RLC, killed in Afghanistan in July 2009
North Kesteven Grammar School
- Keith Briggs, Managing Director from 1998-2000 of Rutland Radio and Director of Operations from 2001 of Lincs FM Group
- Kevin Curley CBE, Chief Executive from 2003-12 of NAVCA (1962-69)
- Nick Johnston (1961-66), MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife from 1999-2001.
- David Rossington, Chief Executive from 1991-2001 of Lincolnshire TEC, now Chief Executive of Investors in Lincoln
- David Ward, Lib Dem MP from 2010-15 for Bradford East
- Warrant Officer Gary Wilcox Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer from 2009-12 (attended 1969-74)
- School website
- Official Facebook Page
- Terry O'Toole Theatre
- Lincoln Specialist Schools