Northern Nash High School
|Northern Nash High School|
|4230 Green Hills Road
Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804
|Motto||"Encouraging Students to become Life-long Learners"|
|Status||Open for enrollment|
|School district||Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools|
|Staff||Administrators, interns/assistant teachers, Deputies, janitors, et cetera|
|Teaching staff||86 (as of 2005–06)|
|Enrollment||1,388 (as of 2005–06), about 1,200 (as of 2011-2012)|
|Average class size||Approx. 30 students per room|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.1 (as of 2005–06)|
|School color(s)||Green and gold|
|Athletics conference||Big East|
|Team name||Fighting Knights|
|Website||Northern Nash High School|
Northern Nash High School opened in 1966, consolidating the former Nashville High School, Red Oak High School, Benvenue High School and in its second year, Swift Creek High School. As such, it was one of the first integrated schools in Rocky Mount.
Northern Nash offers Cisco Networking Academy courses in its technical education offerings. A dual-enrollment program is offered in which students may enroll in some classes at nearby Nash Community College.
The Northern Nash band program has historically been successful. The band program has many ensembles during both the summer and the school year, including Marching Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, and Winterguard. All of the band program's ensembles have received consistently high ratings at competitive events both in and out-of-state. In the 2016 marching band season, they tied the school's previous record of 3 Grand Champion titles in one single season.
- J. J. Arrington, NFL player
- Luther Barnes, gospel singer
- Billy Godwin, East Carolina University baseball coach
- Terrence J, television personality
- Charles Pittman, former NBA basketball player
- Phil Valentine, syndicated talk show host
- Roy A. Cooper, attorney general of North Carolina
- David C Cruz, celebrity hair stylist,
- "Northern Nash High School". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "School Detail for Northern Nash High". National Center for Education Statistics.
- Hunter, Ned B. (2003-01-18). "Residents reflect on civil rights struggle". Rocky Mount Telegram.
- Jordan, Natalie (2004-08-30). "High schools offer health care studies". Rocky Mount Telegram.
Nash-Rocky Mount high schools are giving students an alternative to the traditional high school education through career and technical education academies... The Cisco and Health and Sciences academies initiatives are introducing students to an array of career opportunities.
- "Former Northern Nash star receives honor". Rocky Mount Telegram. 2004-12-14.
...Northern Nash High School got an All-America of its own Monday. J.J. Arrington, a former star football player at the school, was selected to The Associated Press All-America team.
- Stephens, Spaine (2003-12-23). "Great gospel". Rocky Mount Telegram.
After he graduated from Northern Nash High School in the mid-'70s, Barnes became the Sunset Jubilaires' lead singer.
- Graff, Michael N. (2005-11-24). "Rocky Mount's Godwin rises to become ECU's baseball coach". Rocky Mount Telegram.
Regardless, another door opened for Godwin, a Northern Nash High School graduate.
- McFarland, Laura (2007-12-17). "RM native can be seen as host on BET". Rocky Mount Telegram.