Northwestern–Notre Dame football rivalry
|First meeting||November 14, 1889|
Notre Dame 9, Northwestern 0
|Latest meeting||November 3, 2018|
#3 Notre Dame 31, Northwestern 21
|All-time series||Notre Dame leads, 38–9–2|
|Largest victory||Notre Dame, 48–0 (1976)|
|Longest win streak||Notre Dame, 14 (1965–94)|
|Current win streak||Notre Dame, 1 (2018)|
Starting in the 1920s, Northwestern and Notre Dame played for a Shillelagh until the mid-1970s. The trophy game was created at the behest of Notre Dame head coach Knute Rockne, who wanted a rivalry in the Chicago metropolitan area to help build Notre Dame's fanbase there.
The game decided the national championship in 1930, and a Notre Dame victory cost Northwestern a national championship in 1936. The two schools stopped playing regularly in the 1970s, though the rivalry was renewed from 1992 to 1995. When Northwestern stunned No. 8 Notre Dame 17–15 as a 28-point underdog in 1995, the Chicago Sun-Times billed it as the "Upset of the Century."
In 2014, the rivalry was renewed in a two-game series, with Northwestern winning 43–40 in overtime in South Bend. It gave Northwestern only their second winning streak against the Irish since they won four straight from 1959–62. Notre Dame traveled to Evanston in November 2018 for their first encounter on the Wildcats' home turf since 1976. The Fighting Irish got their revenge for the Wildcats overtime upset in South Bend four years prior, winning 31-21 at Ryan Field.  Notre Dame leads the series 38–9–2.
|Northwestern victories||Notre Dame victories||Tie games|
- "The history of Northwestern–Notre Dame". www.insidenu.com. Inside NU. November 10, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "History of NU's Rivalry Trophies". hailtopurple.com. April 4, 2009. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Ziehm, Len (September 3, 1995). "THE UPSET OF THE CENTURY; Believe It: NU Stuns Notre Dame". Chicago Sun-Times.
- Wittenburg, Adam (April 14, 2011). "Irish, Wildcats to play series". ESPN. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "Winsipedia – Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Northwestern Wildcats football series history". www.winsipedia.com. Winsipedia. Retrieved August 18, 2018.