Not for Nothin'
|Not For Nothin'|
|Studio album by Dave Holland Quintet|
|Recorded||September 21–23, 2000|
|Dave Holland Quintet chronology|
Not For Nothin' is Dave Holland's 13th release on the ECM record label, and the third to feature his current working quintet. As is standard for Holland's releases, the program consists of numerous compositions by the other band members, in this case one each, in addition to the majority written by Holland. The album's longest track - What Goes Around - was re-recorded by Holland in a big-band arrangement on the album immediately following Not For Nothin' - What Goes Around.
The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4.5 stars stating "This is postmodern poetic singing at its finest. Who said jazz is a dead art form? Let he or she who has the ears to hear, hear; the Dave Holland Quintet is carrying the banner of creative music in the jazz tradition in the 21st century.".
All compositions by Dave Holland, except as noted.
- "Global Citizen" (Robin Eubanks) - 11:12
- "For All You Are" - 8:19
- "Lost And Found" (Chris Potter) - 9:27
- "Shifting Sands" - 5:20
- "Billows Of Rhythm" (Billy Kilson) - 6:45
- "What Goes Around" - 13:04
- "Go Fly A Kite" (Steve Nelson) - 6:12
- "Not For Nothin'" - 5:54
- "Cosmosis" - 6:11
- Chris Potter - soprano, alto and tenor saxophones
- Robin Eubanks - trombone and cowbell
- Steve Nelson - vibraphone & marimba
- Dave Holland - double bass
- Billy Kilson - drums
- Chinen, Nate (November 2001). "Dave Holland Quintet Not for Nothin' ECM Records". Jazz Times. jazztimes.com. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Dave Holland Quintet – Not For Nothin'". Discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Jurek, T. Allmusic Review accessed September 21, 2011