Nothing from Nothing (Billy Preston song)
|"Nothing from Nothing"|
|Single by Billy Preston|
|from the album The Kids & Me|
|B-side||"My Soul Is a Witness"|
|Released||August 5, 1974|
|Billy Preston singles chronology|
"Nothing from Nothing" is a song written by Billy Preston and Bruce Fisher and recorded by Billy Preston for his 1974 album The Kids & Me. The song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for one week in October 1974, becoming Preston's second solo chart-topper in the United States (following his 1973 hit "Will It Go Round in Circles"). It spent four and a half months on the chart.
Preston performed "Nothing from Nothing" later on Saturday Night Live—the first musical performance ever on the show. The song was also used in late 2002 for all GM brand commercials, and prominently featured in the 2008 film Be Kind Rewind.
- Bronson, Fred (1992). The Billboard Book of Number One Hits - revised & enlarged. New York: Billboard Books. p. 139. ISBN 0-8230-8298-9.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "Songs from the Year 1974". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 468.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 197.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-25. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1974/Top 100 Songs of 1974". musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved March 20, 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-19. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "Lazlo Bane's Guilty Pleasures". cdbaby.com. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
"I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
October 19, 1974 (one week)
"Then Came You" by Dionne Warwick and The Spinners