Osman Nuri Gündeş (born 1925) was a Turkish intelligence official in the National Intelligence Organization (MIT). He was chairman of the MIT's Istanbul region, retiring in 1986. He was later chief intelligence adviser in the mid-1990s to Prime Minister Tansu Çiller.
Gündeş served in the MIT from 1964 to 1986. He was Vice President of MIT for the Istanbul region from 1977 to 1984. In 1984 he was posted to Ankara as head of foreign intelligence. He retired from MIT in 1986. Former MIT colleague Mehmet Eymür said in 2011 that whilst at MIT Gündeş had used Abdullah Çatlı in "many operations abroad". Eymür had included Gündeş in his 1987 MIT Report on links between the state and the Turkish mafia.
Gündeş was later chief intelligence adviser in the mid-1990s to Prime Minister Tansu Çiller. When Çiller came to office in June 1993, she wanted to replace MIT head Sönmez Köksal, possibly with Gündeş, but met political resistance, and left Köksal in post, and appointed Gündeş as an advisor instead. Fikri Sağlar of the Republican People's Party (CHP) says Çiller had Gündeş create a separate intelligence agency called the Public Security Headquarters (Turkish: Kamu Güvenlik Başkanlığı, curiously shortening to KGB). Upon hearing news of unsavory activity from the KGB, president Süleyman Demirel had it dismantled.
- İhtilallerin ve Anarşinin Yakın Tanığı ("Close Witness of Revolutions and Anarchy"), 2010.
- Today's Zaman, 24 December 2010, Nuri Gündeş reason for degeneration of MİT, colleague claims
- Mehmet Ali Birand, 10 February 2007, Thanks to Nuri Gündeş
- haberimport.com, 21 December 2010, Eski MİT'çi Nuri Gündeş'ten şok açıklamalar
- Mehmet Eymür, 26 July 2001, Uyuşturucudan Susurluk'a 35 - Nuri Gündeş (1)
- Today's Zaman, 6 December 2011, Eymür not clear on Gündeş’s role in unsolved murders
- Today's Zaman, 23 December 2010, Official documents refute former MİT official’s claims about Turkish schools
- Hurriyet Daily News,10 July 1997, Ciller's husband in the spotlight for hand in murder
- Hurriyet Daily News, 31 January 1997, From the papers
- Erkoca, Yurdagul (1998-08-31). "Devletin tepesi haberdar". Radikal (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-12-23.
Doğan Güreş bu işleri organize etmiş. Genelkurmay Başkanı Güreş asker kökenli Nuri Gündeş'i MİT Müsteşarlığı'na, Mehmet Ağar'ı da Emniyet Genel Müdürlüğü'ne tavsiye etmiş. Gündeş'e Köşk izin vermemiş. Onlar da Başbakanlık istihbarat başdanışmanı yapmışlar. MİT de Ağar ve Gündeş'e karşı kendini korumak adına Mehmet Eymür'ü yeniden işe almış. Eymür birinci MİT raporunda Mehmet Ağar'la Nuri Gündeş'in, nasıl yolsuzluklara karıştığını anlatmıştı. Ağar da Mehmet Eymür'le arası bozuk olan ama onun yaptıklarını bilen Korkut Eken'i danışman olarak Emniyet Genel Müdürlüğü'ne almış.
- Kilic, Ecevit (2008-12-01). "Kontr-Terör'ün resmi kaydı yok". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-12-03.