|Born||1976 (age 39–40)|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Songwriter, Playwright, Theatre director|
|Instruments||Vocals Piano Guitars|
Oren Lavie (Hebrew: אורן לביא) (born 1976) is an Israeli singer, songwriter, playwright, and theatre director. His music video for "Her Morning Elegance" earned a 2009 Grammy Award nomination for "Best Short Form Music Video". Lavie released his debut studio album, The Opposite Side of the Sea, in January 2007 in Europe, and on March 10, 2009 in the United States. In August 2012, he revealed that he has a second album in the works.
Life and career
Lavie was born in Tel Aviv and spent his youth in Israel. In 1997, his play Sticks and Wheels and his production of it were awarded the main prizes at the Acco Festival of Alternative Israeli Theatre. The production played in Tel Aviv during 1998. In that year he went to London to study theatre directing at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA). After his graduation, two of his plays were produced in various London theatres. They already contained several songs written and composed by him.
In 2001, Lavie moved to New York City where he directed several workshops on his plays, and gradually shifted his focus to songwriting. In 2003, he relocated to Berlin and began recording his first album, The Opposite Side of the Sea, which he self produced. The album was released in Europe in January and February 2007, and in the United States in March 2009.
In 2009, his stop motion style music video, "Her Morning Elegance", featuring Shir Shomron, an Israeli-born actress/model, achieved significant popularity on YouTube, receiving over 30 million views. Lavie produced and co-directed the video, which was shot in 48 hours without a break.
He appears on Chimes of Freedom: Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International, covering 4th Time Around.
Directed by Oren Lavie
- 1997 - Sticks and Wheels (Première: Acco Festival, Israel)
- 1999 - Lighting the Day (Première: Bridewell Theatre, London Stage Company)
- 2000 - Bridges and Harmonies (Première: Bridewell Theatre, London Stage Company)
- 2006 - The Empty Princess, German: Die Prinzessin mit dem Loch im Bauch (Première: 2007-05-25 at Staatstheater Oldenburg)
- Studio albums
- The Opposite Side of the Sea (2007)
- "Her Morning Elegance"
- Other songs
- "A Dance 'Round the Memory Tree" was featured on The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008) film soundtrack.
- " Digg
- "Darlings, It's been a couple of years that The...". Facebook. August 12, 2012. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- Internet presentation of BBIsland (agents of the artist)
- MCC Playwrights Coalition, New York
- Review of the première of "Bridges and Harmonies", Ian Shuttleworth, website of the author; written for The Financial Times, 11/2000
-  on YouTube
- O'Connor, Ryan. "SESSIONS: Photographer Eyal Landesman". interview. nthWORD Magazine. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Official website of "The Opposite Side of the Sea"
- Website (MySpace) of Oren Lavie
- Gallery Website of 'Her Morning Elegance' frames
- Review of "The Opposite Side of the Sea", Katie Probert (on Subba Cultcha, 2007/02/05)
- Oren Lavie on Channel One News\
- Oren Lavie Exclusive Interview and Review of "The Opposite Side of the Sea"