This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2022)
|Born||1965 (age 58)|
|Education||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Occupation||Writer, visiting scholar|
|Position held||secretary (Cuban Democratic Directorate)|
Orlando Gutiérrez-Boronat was born in Havana, Cuba in 1965. Gutierrez-Boronat is an author, spokesperson for the Cuban Democratic Directorate, member of the Assembly of the Cuban Resistance (a coalition of Cuban anti-communist groups inside and outside Cuba), invited lecturer at Georgetown University, and community leader.
His family settled in the United States from Cuba in 1971 seeking freedom. In 1990, he co-founded Cuban American NGO, Directorio Democratico Cubano "Directorio" seeking human rights and democratic change in Cuba. In 2005, Gutierrez-Boronat launched Radio República, a radio station offering uncensored news and information to Cubans on the island that transmits every day via shortwave, and also through AM frequencies and social media. Radio República recently launched a podcast driven website allowing for programming to be downloaded and heard world-wide. The DDC receives funding from [NED]. The NED funds also went toward the Directorio’s Radio Republica operation.
Gutierrez-Boronat holds a PhD in the Philosophy of International Relations from the University of Miami (2005), and a Master’s degree in Political Science (2001) and undergraduate degrees in Communications and Political Science from Florida International University.
Dr. Gutierrez Boronat has served as an international diplomat for the cause of a Free Cuba. In the past few years, he has met with President Donald J. Trump and Vice President Mike Pence of the United States; with President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil; with President Tsai-ing wen of the Republic of China (Taiwan); with the Foreign Ministers of Costa Rica, Chile, and Peru; and with members of Congress of the United States and several Latin American countries.
Recently, in October 2020, he organized the Anti-Communist and Anti-Socialist Caravan and Seminar in Miami, Florida, that according to observers drew about 30,000 vehicles and thousands of participants.
Dr. Gutierrez-Boronat has been instrumental in the creation of the Justice Cuba Commission, composed of human rights experts from ten countries, which has investigated crimes against humanity of the Cuban government against the Cuban population, as well as in other nations. The Justice Cuba Commission advocates for an international tribunal to try these crimes.
Gutierrez-Boronat signed the Madrid Charter, a document drafted by the far-right Spanish political party Vox that describes left-wing groups as enemies of Ibero-America involved in a "criminal project" that are "under the umbrella of the Cuban regime".
- ^ "2005 Latin America Dissertation John Barrett Prize". demdigest.org. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- ^ "Directorio Democratico Cubano – Home". directorio.org. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- ^ Martinez, Guillermo I. "Even young Cubans concerned about dissidents". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved June 29, 2022.
- ^ "Orlando Gutiérrez-Boronat dedica emotivas palabras a Cuba". Radio y Televisión Martí | RadioTelevisionMarti.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 20, 2020.
- ^ "Directorio Democratico Cubano – About Us". directorio.org. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- ^ "Directorio Democratico Cubano – Radio República". directorio.wildapricot.org. Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- ^ "Radio República, una voz al aire de la resistencia cubana que cumple 12 años". diariolasamericas.com (in Spanish). Retrieved June 29, 2022.
- ^ "Directorio Democratico Cubano - Radio Republica".
- ^ "Democracy, Inc. – Cuba Money Project".
- ^ "Directorio.PDF".
- ^ https://scholarship.miami.edu/esploro/outputs/doctoral/Cuban-exile-nationalism/991031447107202976
- ^ "Orlando Gutiérrez Boronat, un filósofo cubano que el régimen acusa de terrorismo". ADN Cuba (in Spanish). Retrieved June 29, 2022.
- ^ "Orlando Gutiérrez Boronat, un filósofo cubano que el régimen acusa de terrorismo".
- ^ https://www.c-span.org/person/?126783/OrlandoGutierrezBoronat[bare URL]
- ^ "Bolsonaro recibe a uno de los líderes del exilio".
- ^ "Taiwan – Latin America: An encounter for freedom". March 3, 2020.
- ^ "Promotores de enjuiciar al régimen por sus crímenes son recibidos en Costa Rica".
- ^ https://www.radiotelevisionmarti.com/a/comisi%C3%B3n-justicia-cuba-se-reune-con-el-canciller-de-chile/259794.html
- ^ "Grupo de exiliados cubanos se reúne con vicepresidenta de Perú en Cumbre de las Américas". April 11, 2018.
- ^ "Republican Congressional and State of Florida leaders meet with Cuban pro-democracy activists".
- ^ "Directorio Democratico Cubano - RECIBE PRESIDENTE DEL CONGRESO PERUANO a DELEGACIÓN DE LA ASAMBLEA DE LA RESISTENCIA CUBANA y DE LA COMISIÓN JUSTICIA CUBA".
- ^ "Caravana anticomunista paraliza Miami".
- ^ "La caravana en Miami en apoyo del 15N en Cuba quiere ser latinoamericana".
- ^ "Anuncian comisión para investigar crímenes del castrismo - CubaNet".
- ^ "OEA se vincula a enjuiciamiento del régimen cubano por delitos de lesa humanidad".
- ^ "Exiliados cubanos repasan "crímenes de lesa humanidad" del castrismo".
- ^ "Orlando Gutiérrez Boronat: "El régimen estuvo y está dispuesto a destruir al pueblo cubano" - CubaNet".
- ^ "Carta de Madrid". Fundación Disenso (in Spanish). Retrieved December 7, 2021.