Ibero-America (Spanish: Iberoamérica, Portuguese: Ibero-América) or Iberian America is a region in the Americas comprising countries or territories where Spanish or Portuguese are predominant languages, usually former territories of Portugal and Spain. Portugal and Spain are themselves included in some definitions, such as that of the Ibero-American Summit and the Organization of Ibero-American States. The Organization of Ibero-American States also includes Spanish-speaking Equatorial Guinea, in Central Africa, but not the Portuguese-speaking African countries.
The prefix Ibero- and the adjective Iberian refer to the Iberian Peninsula in Europe, which include Portugal and Spain. Ibero-America includes all Spanish-speaking countries in North, Central, and South America, plus the Portuguese-speaking country of Brazil. The exclusion of the French-speaking country of Haiti, Quebec, the French overseas departments of French Guiana, Martinique and Guadeloupe, and the French collectivities of Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy differentiates Ibero-America from Latin America.
Since 1991, the Iberoamerican Community of Nations has organized a yearly Ibero-American Summit meeting of the heads of state and government of the Ibero-American countries, including Spain, Portugal and Andorra.
Countries and population in Europe, Asia and the Americas
- Catalan-speaking: (78,000 speakers)
- Andorra 78,000
- Filipino-speaking: (102,291,200 speakers)
- Philippines 102,291,200
- Japanese-speaking: (126,890,000 speakers)
- Japan 126,890,000
- Portuguese-speaking: (211,520,003 speakers)
- Spanish-speaking: (430,567,462 speakers)
- Argentina 42,669,500
- Bolivia 10,556,102
- Chile 17,772,871
- Colombia 47,425,437
- Costa Rica 4,586,353
- Cuba 11,167,325
- Dominican Republic 9,445,281
- Ecuador 15,223,680
- El Salvador 6,134,000
- Guatemala 15,806,675
- Honduras 8,249,574
- Mexico 118,395,054
- Nicaragua 6,071,045
- Panama 3,608,431
- Paraguay 6,800,284
- Peru 30,814,175
- Puerto Rico 3,667,084
- Spain 46,704,314
- Uruguay 3,324,460
- Venezuela 28,946,101
- Hispanic America
- Latin America
- Latin American integration
- Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences
- List of current heads of state and government of Ibero-America
- Organization of Ibero-American States
- Organización de Televisión Iberoamericana (OTI)
- Portuguese colonization of the Americas
- Postal Union of the Americas, Spain and Portugal
- Spanish colonization of the Americas
- Presentación, Acerca de la OEI, Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos para la Educación, la Ciencia y la Cultura. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- Países, Cumbres Iberoamericanas de Jefes de Estado y de Gobierno. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- Ibero-American Summit, Foreign Office, Republic of Brazil. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- pp. 312–313, Spain: Democracy Regained, Ergasto Ramón Arango, Spain: Westview Press. ISBN 0-8133-2915-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iberoamérica.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iberocoop at Wikimania 2013.|
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for the Organization of Ibero-American States OEI
- (Spanish) Ibero-America's Secretariat General Official Web-site (SEGIB)
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for the Organization of Ibero-American Youth (OIJ)
- (Spanish) Digital History of Ibero-America from the 14th to the 18th century
- (Spanish) Digital News about Ibero-America (La Insignia)
- (Spanish) Cultural Magazine about Ibero-America (Pensar Iberoamerica)
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for one of the most important festivals devoted to Ibero-America (El Ojo de Iberoamerica)