Ibero-America comprises the countries in the Americas that are former colonies of Portugal and Spain. Portugal and Spain are themselves included in some definitions, such as that of the Ibero-American Summit and the Organization of Ibero-American States. The Organization of Ibero-American States also includes Spanish-Speaking Equatorial Guinea, in Central Africa, but not the Portuguese-speaking African countries.
The prefix Ibero- refers to the Iberian Peninsula in Europe, which includes Portugal, Spain, Andorra, and Gibraltar. Ibero-America includes all Spanish-speaking countries in North, Central, and South America, plus the Portuguese-speaking country of Brazil. The exclusion of the French-speaking country of Haiti, the French overseas departments of French Guiana, Martinique and Guadeloupe, and the French collectivities of Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy differentiates Ibero-America from Latin America.
Since 1991, the Iberoamerican Community of Nations has organized a yearly Ibero-American Summit meeting of the heads of state and government of the Ibero-American countries, including Spain, Portugal and Andorra.
Countries and population in Europe and the Americas
- Spanish-speaking: (430,567,462 speakers)
- Argentina 42,669,500
- Bolivia 10,556,102
- Chile 17,772,871
- Colombia 47,425,437
- Costa Rica 4,586,353
- Cuba 11,167,325
- Dominican Republic 9,445,281
- Ecuador 15,223,680
- El Salvador 6,134,000
- Guatemala 15,806,675
- Honduras 8,249,574
- Mexico 118,395,054
- Nicaragua 6,071,045
- Panama 3,608,431
- Paraguay 6,800,284
- Peru 30,814,175
- Puerto Rico 3,667,084
- Spain 46,704,314
- Uruguay 3,324,460
- Venezuela 28,946,101
- Portuguese-speaking: (211,520,003 speakers)
- Hispanic America
- Latin America
- Latin American integration
- List of current heads of state and government of Ibero-America
- Organization of Ibero-American States
- Organización de Televisión Iberoamericana (OTI)
- Portuguese colonization of the Americas
- Postal Union of the Americas, Spain and Portugal
- Spanish colonization of the Americas
- Presentación, Acerca de la OEI, Organización de Estados Iberoamericanos para la Educación, la Ciencia y la Cultura. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- Países, Cumbres Iberoamericanas de Jefes de Estado y de Gobierno. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- Ibero-American Summit, Foreign Office, Republic of Brazil. Accessed on line October 22, 2007.
- pp. 312–313, Spain: Democracy Regained, Ergasto Ramón Arango, Spain: Westview Press. ISBN 0-8133-2915-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iberoamérica.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Iberocoop at Wikimania 2013.|
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for the Organization of Ibero-American States OEI
- (Spanish) Ibero-America's Secretariat General Official Web-site (SEGIB)
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for the Organization of Ibero-American Youth (OIJ)
- (Spanish) Digital History of Ibero-America from the 14th to the 18th century
- (Spanish) Digital News about Ibero-America (La Insignia)
- (Spanish) Cultural Magazine about Ibero-America (Pensar Iberoamerica)
- (Spanish) Official Web-site for one of the most important festivals devoted to Ibero-America (El Ojo de Iberoamerica)