His 2015 film The Kármán Line, starred Olivia Colman as a wife and mother who contracts an illness causing her to gradually levitate. It won Best Short at the British Independent Film Awards and was nominated for the Best British Short Film at the BAFTAs and was produced by Campbell Beaton. The film was subsequently released by The New Yorker and PBS.
In 2016 Sharp teamed with creative technologist Ross Goodwin and actor Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley (TV series)) to create Sunspring. It was the first film to be entirely scripted by artificial intelligence, and produced widespread international discussion.
Sharp and Goodwin followed Sunspring in 2017 with It's No Game starring David Hasselhoff, in which the actor performs dialogue generated by an AI from a large collection of his past performances. It also starred Sarah Hay and Tom Payne (actor).
In 2016, 20th Century Fox signed Sharp to co-write and direct the feature film Woolly: The True Story of the De-Extinction of One of History’s Most Iconic Creatures, based on the upcoming book by Ben Mezrich (author of The Accidental Billionaires, basis of The Social Network). The book is an account of the de-extinction work of Harvard Geneticist George M. Church, among others.
Background & Education
Sharp grew up in a rural British village, and with no connections to the film industry. He attended NYU Graduate Film on a Fulbright scholarship. His professors were Todd Solondz, Spike Lee and Darren Aronofsky.
- Sign Language at IMDb
- Hulme, Lucinda Everett, with additional reporting by Rebecca Lefort and James. "Virgin Media Shorts: Oscar Sharp on Grand Prize winning short film Sign Language". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- The Kármán Line at IMDb
- "Pride wins best film at BIFAs". Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- BAFTA. "BAFTA Guru Shorts Nominees".
- Bradshaw, Peter (2015-03-05). "Bafta Shorts 2015 review – a sparky collection with some great ideas". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Larson, Sarah. "THE SCREENING ROOM: "THE KÁRMÁN LINE"". The New Yorker. The New Yorker. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "The Kármán Line". Film School Shorts. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (2014-08-22). "Tobey Maguire's Material Signs Oscar Sharp To Blind Deal Off Short Pic 'The Karman Line'". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Oscar Sharp, Stars of Tomorrow 2015". Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Newitz, Annalee. "Movie written by algorithm turns out to be hilarious and intense". Ars Technica. Conde Nast. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
90210, HAL (2016-06-10). "This is what happens when an AI-written screenplay is made into a film". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-05-01.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
Tual, Morgane (2016-06-10). "Une intelligence artificielle écrit le scénario d'un court-métrage". Le Monde.fr (in French). ISSN 1950-6244. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
Germany, SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg. "Künstliche Intelligenz: Die Drehbuchmaschine - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Netzwelt". SPIEGEL ONLINE. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
"Benjamin, la primera inteligencia artificial que escribe guiones". One - Vodafone (in Spanish). 2017-03-19. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
Kamps, Haje Jan. "必見！ AIが映画脚本を書いたらこうなった". TechCrunch Japan. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Carter, Stephen L. (2017-04-28). "Coming to the Multiplex: Movies Written by Machines". Bloomberg View. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. "Oscar Sharp To Direct Ben Mezrich Mammoth Thriller 'Woolly". Deadline Hollywood. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 13 April 2017.