Type of site
|Headquarters||Burbank, California, |
|Key people||Kevin Reilly (Chief content officer)|
|Parent||Home Box Office, Inc. (WarnerMedia Entertainment)|
|Current status||In development|
HBO Max is an upcoming American Internet video on demand service owned by WarnerMedia Entertainment, a division of AT&T's WarnerMedia. This service will launch in the spring of 2020. It will be focused on content from WarnerMedia properties, including HBO, Warner Bros., and The CW. The service also has exclusive streaming rights to some BBC Studios content.
Casey Bloys, programming president of HBO, oversees HBO Max programming while Kevin Reilly, Chief Content Officer, also is chief content officer of HBO Max taking care of all new originals and library content. Andy Forssell is the service's executive vice president and general manager while still reporting to Otter Media CEO Tony Goncalves, who leads development.
On October 10, 2018, WarnerMedia announced that it will launch an over-the-top streaming service in late 2019, featuring content from its entertainment brands. The original plan for the service called for three tiers with a late 2019 launch. WarnerMedia's parent AT&T chairman and CEO Randall L. Stephenson indicated in mid-May 2019 that it would use the HBO brand and would tie into cable operators as HBO cable subscribers would have access to the streaming service. A beta was expected in the fourth quarter of 2019 and full launch in first quarter 2020 at the time.
Otter Media was transferred in May 2019 to WarnerMedia Entertainment from Warner Bros. to take over the streaming service as Brad Bentley, executive vice president and general manager of the for direct-to-consumer development exited the post after six months. Andy Forssell transferred from being chief operating officer of Otter to replace Bentley as executive vice president and general manager while still reporting to Otter CEO Tony Goncalves, who would lead development.
On July 9, 2019, WarnerMedia announced that their upcoming streaming service would be named HBO Max and launch in spring 2020. Also announced at that time was that Friends would be taken off rival streaming service Netflix for the launch, while Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine and Greg Berlanti were signed to production deals for the service.
HBO Max will feature original programming produced for the service and draw content from the namesake HBO network, WarnerMedia Entertainment (Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, TBS, TNT, & truTV), Warner Bros. (Adult Swim, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, The CW, DC Entertainment, Looney Tunes, New Line Cinema, & Turner Classic Movies), and CNN.
With the start of the 2019-20 television season, series on The CW produced by Warner Bros. Television that debut from that season on will have their seasons placed on HBO Max a month before the newest season premieres. Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine and Greg Berlanti were signed to production deals for an initial four movies in the young-adult genre and two films, respectively. WarnerMedia Entertainment indicated that the service would have 10,000 hours of content.
On August 1, 2019, WarnerMedia announced its long-term deal with BBC Studios after HBO Max acquired the exclusive streaming rights to the first 11 seasons of the 2005 Doctor Who revival, Luther, The Honourable Woman, Top Gear, and the British version of The Office. HBO Max will also stream the future seasons of Doctor Who after their initial run on BBC America.
The service's original series will be branded Max Originals.
||TBA||1 (10 episodes)||TBA||TBA||
|Dune: The Sisterhood||Science fiction||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||Legendary Television|
|The Flight Attendant||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai||TBA||TBA||TBA||Series order|
|Made for Love||Comedy||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||Paramount Television|
|Station Eleven||Post-apocalyptic||TBA||1||TBA||TBA||Paramount Television|
|Tokyo Vice||Drama||TBA||1 (10 episodes)||TBA||TBA||Endeavor Content|
|Untitled Gossip Girl sequel||Drama||TBA||1 (10 episodes)||TBA||TBA|
|Untitled live-action Ben 10 series||Superhero||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|TBA||Let Them All Talk||Steven Soderbergh||Filming|||
- Lee, Ryan Faughnder, Wendy. "WarnerMedia announces new streaming service to compete with Netflix and Disney – Los Angeles Times". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- Stelter, Brian (July 9, 2019). "WarnerMedia banks on HBO's brand name for new streaming service". CNN. Retrieved July 10, 2019.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (May 14, 2019). "HBO Pay-TV Customers Will Have Access to WarnerMedia SVOD Service, AT&T Chief Says". Variety. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (May 31, 2019). "WarnerMedia Reorg Gives Otter Media's Tony Goncalves Oversight of Streaming Service Development". Variety. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Spangler, Todd (July 9, 2019). "'Friends' to Leave Netflix for WarnerMedia's HBO Max Streaming Service in 2020". Variety. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Haselton, Todd (July 9, 2019). "AT&T rolls out a new, super-charged streaming service with HBO shows, 'Friends' and more". CNBC. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- "HBO Max OTT platform to include live NBA and MLB". SportsPro Media. Retrieved July 28, 2019.
- Porter, Rick (August 1, 2019). "'Luther,' 'Doctor Who,' U.K. 'Office' Libraries Head to HBO Max in BBC Deal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- Jarvey, Natalie; Goldberg, Lesley (July 3, 2019). "WarnerMedia's Streaming Service: A Guide to All Its Programming (So Far)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 26, 2019). "Bad Robot-Produced Michael Ausiello Autobiographical Dramedy 'Drama Queen' Lands At HBO Max". Deadline. Retrieved September 10, 2019.
- Porter, Rick (July 17, 2019). "'Gossip Girl' Update Lands Straight-to-Series Order at HBO Max". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 30, 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Live-Action 'Ben 10' Series In The Works At Warner Bros". Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Kroll, Justin (August 19, 2019). "HBO Max Lands Steven Soderbergh's Next Film Starring Meryl Streep". Variety. Retrieved September 10, 2019.