Maungaturoto is only 1 hour 15 minutes from Auckland and is within reach of many popular beaches.
Otamatea High School is a secondary (years 7-13) school with a roll of 528. The school celebrated its 50th reunion in 2016. The District High School was established in Maungaturoto in 1939. Otamatea High School won the Goodman Fielder Composite School of the Year Award in 2000. 
All these schools are coeducational and have a decile rating of 6.
- Quickstats about Maungaturoto
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Otamatea High School". Ministry of Education.
- "Otamatea High School and Maungaturoto District High School 50th Reunion 2016" (PDF). Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- Ryburn, Wayne (1999). Tall Spars, Steamers & Gum. Auckland, N.Z.: Kaipara Publications. p. 167. ISBN 0-473-06176-7.
- "Welcome to Maungaturoto Information Pack" (PDF). Real Town Maungaturoto Inc. p. 3. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Maungaturoto School". Ministry of Education.
- Ryburn, p 222
- "Te Kete Ipurangi - Otamatea Christian School". Ministry of Education.
- "Ministry Otamatea Christian College". Maungaturoto Congregational Church.
- Maungaturoto's Official website
- Maungaturoto Beautification Project
- Otamatea High School website
- Otamatea Christian School website[permanent dead link]
- Maungaturoto Primary School Website