Our Souls at Night (film)
|Our Souls at Night|
Theatrical and Netflix release poster
|Directed by||Ritesh Batra|
Our Souls at Night|
by Kent Haruf
|Music by||Elliot Goldenthal|
|Edited by||John F. Lyons|
Our Souls at Night is a 2017 American romantic drama film directed by Ritesh Batra and written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber. It is based on the novel of same name by Kent Haruf. The film stars Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Matthias Schoenaerts, and Judy Greer. It had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on September 1, 2017. It was released on September 29, 2017 by Netflix. It marked the fourth collaboration between Fonda and Redford, having previously starred in The Chase, Barefoot in the Park, and The Electric Horseman.
The film received acclaim from critics who appreciated the film's direction, adaptation from the novel and performances, with critics widely praising the casting of Fonda and Redford who were appreciated for the respective performances (especially Fonda) and their chemistry.
Louis Waters is a widower. One evening he is visited by Addie, a widow who lives next door. She invites him to sometimes sleep over - platonically - talking in bed to combat loneliness. They try it out, and like it. The community finds out, but assume it's a sexual relationship. After Louis' coffee shop friends make a joke, Louis walks out mad. Addie's friend Ruth asks her a few questions. To stop the gossip, the two have Sunday lunch together at a restaurant.
Addie's son Gene dumps his seven year old child Jamie with her. Louis helps her care for him, sets up his train set and gets Jamie a dog. The boy even sleeps with the elderly couple in a real family setting. After Gene learns of the relationship, he takes Jamie back even though his wife has left him. Louis and Addie go on a trip and get around to having sex.
Addie falls down and ends up in the hospital. Her son wants her to move in with him and Jamie. She decides that family must come first and the couple spend their last night together. Both she and Louis are back to sleeping alone. So Louis sends her the train set and a cell-phone. After getting into bed, she calls him and they start talking as old friends. And the movie ends.
- Jane Fonda as Addie Moore, a widow who lives next door to Louis, Gene's mother, and Jamie's grandmother
- Robert Redford as Louis Waters, a widower who lives next door to Addie, and Holly's father
- Iain Armitage as Jamie Moore, Gene's son and Addie's grandson
- Matthias Schoenaerts as Gene Moore, Addie's son and Jamie's father
- Judy Greer as Holly Waters, Louis' daughter
- Phyllis Somerville as Ruth, Addie's friend
- Bruce Dern as Dorlan Becker
- Fred Osborne as Frederick's Cafe Owner
The film's title earned some derision in the British press as it can be misheard as "Arseholes at Night", something Jane Fonda seemed unaware of until Irish talk show host Graham Norton pointed it out to her. She took it with great humour.
- Evry, Max (September 9, 2016). "Robert Redford & Jane Fonda Re-Team for Our Souls at Night". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (July 7, 2016). "Netflix Taps Ritesh Batra To Direct Robert Redford-Jane Fonda Reteam 'Our Souls At Night'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "Filming begins for Netflix movie staring Jane Fonda, Robert Redford". KOAA. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "'Our Souls at Night' films in northeast Colorado Springs". The Gazette. October 27, 2016. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Hodderhose, Diana (July 17, 2017). "Jane Fonda & Robert Redford To Be Honored At Venice Film Festival; 'Our Souls At Night' To World Premiere". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (August 9, 2017). "'Our Souls At Night' Tease: Jane Fonda, Robert Redford Have A Sunday Kind Of Love". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 9, 2017.
- "Jane Fonda on The Graham Norton Show (BBC)". July 17, 2017. Retrieved July 17, 2017.