Ozleworth shown within Gloucestershire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Ozleworth was known as Oslan wyrth in 940, derived from the Old English words ōsle + worth. meaning either "enclosure of a man named Ōsla" or "enclosure frequented by blackbirds". It was listed as Osleworde in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Ozleworth is part of the Grumbolds Ash ward of the district of Cotswold and is currently represented by Councillor Carolyn Nicolle, a member of the Conservative Party. Ozleworth is part of the constituency of Cotswold, represented at parliament by Conservative MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. It is part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
Ozleworth is in the county of Gloucestershire, and lies within the Cotswolds, a range of hills designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is approximately 30 km (19 mi) south of Gloucester and approximately 32 km (20 mi) south west of Cirencester. Ozleworth's post town Wotton-under-Edge is approximately 4 km (2.5 mi) to the west. Nearby villages include Alderley, Wortley, Tresham, Leighterton, Lasborough, Newington Bagpath, Owlpen, and Kingscote.
The Norman church, which is dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra, is known to have been in existence in 1131. It has a cruciform structure, with one bell. It has an unusual hexagonal tower located in the centre of the church between the nave and the chancel. The current nave and font were added in the early 13th century. Archaeological evidence suggests that there was no nave before this time and that the tower originally formed part of the western wall of the church. The churchyard is circular. No longer active, the church is looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust.
- Mills, A. D. (1998). Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford University Press. p. 265. ISBN 0-19-280074-4.
- "Ozleworth". Domesday Book. The National Archives. 1086. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- "Cotswold - Find Your Councillor". Cotswold District Council. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Cotswold - Constituency - Conservative Party". Conservative Party. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- "Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- Hall, Michael (1993). Stratford-Upon-Avon and the Cotswolds. The Pevensey Press. p. 91. ISBN 0-907115-68-3.
- British Archaeological Association (1847). The Archaeological Journal. Oxford University. p. 107.
- Fernie, Eric (2000). The Architecture of Norman England. Oxford University Press. p. 243. ISBN 0-19-925081-2.
- "Charles Tomlinson - In Conversation With David Morley". 1991. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
Media related to Ozleworth at Wikimedia Commons