P. J. Rhodes
Peter John Rhodes, FBA (born 10 August 1940), usually cited as P. J. Rhodes, is a British academic and ancient historian. He is Professor Emeritus of Ancient History at the University of Durham. He has specialized in Ancient Greek politics and political institutions.
In 1965, Rhodes became a lecturer in Classics and Ancient History at the University of Durham, in England. He was later promoted to senior lecturer. He was appointed Professor of Ancient History in 1983. He retired in 2005, becoming Professor Emeritus.
His major works include the definitive modern treatment of the Athenian Council (or Boule), the now standard commentary on the constitutional treatise on Athens produced by Aristotle or under his supervision (the Athenaion Politeia), and a general book on Athens’ overseas empire.
- The Athenian Boule, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1972, rev. 1985.
- Greek Historical Inscriptions, 359-323 B.C., London Association of Classical Teachers, 1972, rev. 1986. ISBN 0-903625-11-3
- A Commentary on the Aristotelian Athenaion Politeia, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1981, rev. 1993.
- The Athenian Empire, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985, rev 1993.
- The Greek City States: A Source Book, 1986, rev. and enlarged edition 2007.
- (with D. M. Lewis) The Decrees of the Greek States, 1997.
- Ancient Democracy and Modern Ideology, London: Duckworth, 2003.
- (with R. Osborne) Greek Historical Inscriptions, 404-323 BC, 2003, corr. 2007.
- A History of the Classical Greek World, 478-323 BC, 2005.
- Alcibiades, Pen and Sword Books, 2011.
- A Short History of Ancient Greece, I.B. Tauris Short Histories, 2014.
Translated and edited ancient authors
- The Athenian Constitution, Penguin Classics, 1984.
- Thucydides: History, Book II, Aris & Phillips, 1988.
- Thucydides: History, Book III, Aris & Phillips, 1994.
- Thucydides: History, Book IV.1-V.24, Aris & Phillips, 1999.
- (with J. L. Marr) The 'Old Oligarch': The Constitution of the Athenians Attributed to Xenophon, Oxford: Aris & Phillips (imprint of Oxbow), 2008.
- (with J. M. Hammond) Thucydides: The Peloponnesian War: translated with an introduction and notes, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Thucydides: History, Book 1, Aris & Philips, 2014.
- (with L. G. Mitchell) The Development of the Polis in Archaic Greece, 1997.
- D. M. Lewis's Selected Papers in Greek and Near Eastern History, 1997.
- Athenian Democracy, 2004.
- (with E. E. Bridges and E. M. Hall) Cultural Responses to the Persian Wars: Antiquity to the Third Millennium, 2007.
- (with E. M. Harris and D. F. Leao) Law and Drama in Ancient Greece, London: Duckworth, 2010.
- (with P. A. Low and G. J. Oliver). Cultures of Commemoration: War Memorials, Ancient and Modern, Proceedings of the British Academy 160, Oxford University Press, 2012.
- RHODES, Prof. Peter John, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "Prof. P. J. Rhodes, FBA". Department of Classics and Ancient History. Durham University. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "RHODES, Professor Peter". British Academy Fellows. British Academy. Retrieved 24 February 2014.