Palm Heinrich Ludwig von Boguslawski
A native of Magdeburg, Boguslawski met Johann Elert Bode (1747–1826), who was an observatory director in Berlin and published the celestial atlas Uranographia, at the Prussian Military Academy in Berlin between 1811–12, when Boguslawski did his military service.
After the war, he took up residence on his family's lands outside Breslau. In 1831 he became curator at the observatory in Breslau, and was appointed in 1836 to an honorary professorship at the University of Breslau.
In the night from 20 April to 21 April 1835, Boguslawski detected a comet, estimated its course, and reported it to Herr Geheimer Ober-Regierungs-Rath. For this, the comet (also known as 1835 I) was named after him.
He also did valuable observations and calculations of Biela's, Encke's and Halley's Comets, published contributions in astronomy magazines and participated in the publication of the magazine Uranus from 1842 to his death in 1851.
At the university, the mechanics  Ernst Carl Gottfried Wilhelm (1794–1843) and Ernst Karl Gustav Theodor Pinzger (1819–1882) supported him. They also were active for the "Schlesische Gesellschaft für vaterländische Kultur".
Boguslawski has the comet he discovered named after him, as well as a lunar crater. Further, he received the first gold comet medal for his work in identifying Comet Boguslawksi. Awarded the Lalande Prize in 1835.
- Schreiben des Herrn Hauptmanns v. Boguslawski, Conservators der Breslauer Sternwarte, an den Herausgeber Der Comet muß etwa einen Tag vorher den O. passirt haben ... Der Comet wird hiernach, wie es scheint, gegen den 16ten Nov. durch das Perihel gehen (German)
- Meyers Konversationslexikon (German)
- Gauß-Register: Boguslawski, Palm Heinrich Ludwig Pruss von (1789-1851) (German)
- Handwerkergelehrte und Instrumentenmacher (German)
- Who's Who in Comet History: Boguslawski, Palm Heinrich Ludwig von (1789-1851)
- Original report of comet in German, Biography in Swedish
|This article about a German academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|