Jong Soo Park
|Park Jong Soo|
|Born||1941 (age 75–76)
|Teacher(s)||Choi Hong Hi|
|Rank||9th dan taekwondo (ITF)|
Park Jong Soo (born 1941) is a South Korean master of taekwondo and one of the twelve original masters of taekwondo of the Korea Taekwon-Do Association. He holds the rank of 9th dan. Following a career in the South Korean military, he emigrated to Canada in 1968.
Park was born in Chung-Nam, Korea, in 1941, during the period of Japanese occupation. He trained in taekwondo under Choi Hong Hi. In 1965, he was invited to be the coach of the German Taekwon-Do Association, and moved from South Korea to West Germany. Park was ranked 5th dan that year. The following year, he moved to the Netherlands and founded the Netherlands Taekwon-Do Association. Through the late 1960s and 1970s, Park was a key member of the taekwondo demonstration teams that accompanied Choi around the world.
In 1968, Park settled in Toronto, Canada. In 1973, he held the rank of 7th dan. In 1974, Park and several other ITF masters demonstrated taekwondo in Toronto—then being promoted as "the new home of the ITF" by Choi. Park and Choi went their separate ways after Choi insisted on establishing relations with North Korea during a politically sensitive period. By 2002, however, they were reconciled, and Park was present at Choi's deathbed.
In 2004, Park was President of the Canadian Taekwon-Do Association, and presented a seminar in Afghanistan. In 2008, Park conducted a seminar in Beijing. He currently heads taekwondo schools in Toronto.
- Choi, H. H. (1972): Taekwon-Do: The Korean art of self-defence. Mississauga: International Taekwon-Do Federation.
- Park, S. H. (1993): "About the author." In H. H. Choi: Taekwon-Do: The Korean art of self-defence, 3rd ed. (Vol. 1, pp. 241–274). Mississauga: International Taekwon-Do Federation.
- A tribute to the original masters Archived 2010-05-25 at the Wayback Machine. (c. 2007). Retrieved on 13 June 2007; link has expired, as at 1 July 2011.
- Grand Master Jong Soo Park: Biography Archived 2009-04-11 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 22 February 2009.
- Pioneers of Taekwon-Do: Grand Master Park Jong Soo Archived 2010-02-13 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 13 January 2010.
- Taekwondo Homepage: Geschichte des Taekwondo (in German). Retrieved on 5 January 2010.
- Cox, S. (c. 2004): The history of Taekwon-Do and its founder Retrieved on 3 February 2010.
- International Taekwon-Do Association Slovenia: ITF history Retrieved on 3 February 2010.
- Anonymous (1974): "International Tae Kwon Do demo held in Canada." Black Belt, 12(12):13–14.
- Gillis, A. (2003): Tiny master Toro, June–July 2003:100–107. Retrieved on 31 January 2010.
- All Afghanistan National Taekwon-Do Association: News[permanent dead link] (4 April 2004). Retrieved on 30 January 2010.
- China International Taekwon-Do Federation: Grand Master Park Jong Soo visited China Archived 2009-01-06 at the Wayback Machine. (15 September 2008). Retrieved on 30 January 2010.
- Jong Soo Park Institute of Taekwon-Do: Location Archived 2009-03-25 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 4 March 2010.
- Choi, C. K. (2007): Tae Kwon Do Pioneers Archived 2008-03-12 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 15 March 2008.