Location of Parkin in Cross County, Arkansas.
|• Total||2.59 sq mi (6.70 km2)|
|• Land||2.56 sq mi (6.62 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
|Elevation||207 ft (63 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||397.58/sq mi (153.53/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0058329|
Parkin is a city in Cross County, Arkansas, United States, along the St. Francis River. The population was 1,105 at the 2010 census, down from 1,602 in 2000. Due to the recent population loss, a large segment of the downtown area has many abandoned and boarded-up buildings.
Parkin is located in eastern Cross County at  on the east bank of the St. Francis River just south of the mouth of the Tyronza River. U.S. Route 64 passes through the community, leading east 5 miles (8 km) to Earle and west 14 miles (23 km) to Wynne, the Cross County seat.(35.265392, -90.554880),
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,602 people, 603 households, and 404 families residing in the city. The population density was 627.2 people per square mile (242.6/km²). There were 657 housing units at an average density of 257.2/sq mi (99.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 10.40% White, 88.54% Black or African American, 0.44% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 0.31% from two or more races. 0.69% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 603 households out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.6% were married couples living together, 22.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the city, the population was spread out with 31.7% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $18,669, and the median income for a family was $25,893. Males had a median income of $22,667 versus $16,413 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,050. About 27.7% of families and 36.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 48.7% of those under age 18 and 26.8% of those age 65 or over.
Parkin Archeological State Park
- Harvey Locke Carey, lawyer and politician born in Parkin in 1915
- Bette Greene, author
- Isaiah Harris, Negro League Baseball pitcher
- Harry Kelley, Major League Baseball player
- Dave Hanner, NFL defensive tackle and assistant coach
- Randy Nino Robinson, Desert Shield/Desert Storm Veteran, 9 years of military service (Army), Assisted in Hurricane Andrew and Haiti, Poet, Writer, Author of "Poetry In Motion", Royal Chief of "Warrior Three Nation" Federation, born August 3, 1969 and raised in Gieseck, Arkansas (33 miles west of Memphis, TN), Graduated in 1987 from Parkin High School.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parkin, Arkansas.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parkin Archeological State Park.|
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 22, 2018.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Parkin city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 20, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "ConsolidationAnnex_from_1983.xls." Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved on May 23, 2018.