In the Australian states, leases constitute a land apportionment system created in the mid-19th century to facilitate the orderly division and sale of land to European colonists. Leases within state jurisdictions have variations as to applicability from state to state.
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation has conducted research on pastoral lands in the terms of the lands as rangelands on a country-wide basis 
Relevant legislation and management
Australian jurisdictions have land management legislation that affects the administration of pastoral leases: -
- New South Wales - Western Lands Act 1901
- Northern Territory - Pastoral Land Act 1992 and Crown Lands Act 1992 
- Queensland - Land Act 1994
- South Australia - Pastoral Land Management and Conservation Act 1989 and Crown Lands Act 1929
- Western Australia - Land Administration Act 1997 - see List of Pastoral leases in Western Australia
Pastoral lease information
- Northern Territory 
- Queensland 
- South Australia 
- Western Australia - see List of Pastoral leases in Western Australia
- the exclusive right of pasturage
- a perpetual right of renewal of the lease for terms of 33 years
- no right to the soil, and
- no right to acquire the fee simple of any of the land.
Pastoral leases are undergoing a voluntary tenure review process.
- "Land & Sea Rights: Community Living Areas: History". Casuarina, Northern Territory, Australia: Northern Land Council. Retrieved 16 October 2005.
- Young, M. D. (Michael Denis), 1952-; Harrington, G. N. (Graham Norman), 1935-; Wilson, A. D. (Allan Durham), 1938-; CSIRO. Division of Wildlife and Rangelands Research (1984), Management of Australia's rangelands, Division of Wildlife and Rangelands Research, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia, ISBN 978-0-643-03614-7
- Australia. Productivity Commission (2002), Pastoral leases and non-pastoral land use Commission research paper, Productivity Commission, ISBN 978-1-74037-082-0
- New South Wales; Brierly, E. W. (Edward Weir); Irish, T. W. (Thomas William); New South Wales. Western Lands Act 1901 (1914), The Crown Lands Acts of New South Wales : containing the Crown Lands Consolidation Act and the Western Lands Acts with notes, table of cases, regulations, appendices and indexes (3rd ed.), Law Book Co, retrieved 6 September 2014
- Vickery, F. J. (Frederick James), 1928-; South Australia. Department of Lands (1981), The Administration, management and tenure of South Australia's pastoral lands : a report, S.A. Dept. of Lands?, retrieved 6 September 2014
- Alick, Terrence (Terrence J.); Alick, Rosemary; Queensland. Department of Natural Resources; Terrence Alick Mapping Services (2010), Atlas of Queensland and Northern Territory pastoral stations etc (8th ed.), Prepared and published by Terrence and Rosemary Alick, ISBN 978-0-9756998-2-9
- Queensland. Land Administration Commission (1989), Index of pastoral leases, Brisbane, retrieved 6 September 2014
- Donovan, P. F (1995), In the interest of the country : a history of the Pastoral Board of South Australia, 1893-1993, Pastoral Management Branch of the South Australian Department of Environment and Natural Resources, ISBN 978-0-646-26803-3
- "Guide for pastoral leaseholders" (PDF). Land Information New Zealand. November 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2011.