Patrick McLaughlin (footballer)
McLaughlin playing for York City in 2011
|Full name||Patrick Joseph McLaughlin|
|Date of birth||14 January 1991|
|Place of birth||Larne, Northern Ireland|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|2015||→ Harrogate Town (loan)||4||(1)|
|2008–2010||Northern Ireland U19||6||(0)|
|2010–2012||Northern Ireland U21||10||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:27, 23 April 2015 (UTC).
Patrick Joseph McLaughlin (born 14 January 1991) is a Northern Irish professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Grimsby Town. He previously played for Newcastle United, York City and Harrogate Town. He has represented Northern Ireland at levels up to under-21.
Born in Larne, County Antrim, McLaughlin began his career at Newcastle United in July 2007. He signed a professional contract a year later but he never played a match at St James' Park. In the summer of 2011 McLaughlin was released by Newcastle after four years at the club. McLaughlin joined Conference Premier side York City on a two-year contract on 30 June 2011. McLaughlin said "I thought York was the best club for me. The gaffer has given me the chance to come down here and play some football." He made his debut for York on the opening day of the 2011–12 season in the 2–1 away win against Ebbsfleet United. McLaughlin was part of the York side that won the 2012 FA Trophy Final against Newport County. Eight days later he came on as an 85th minute substitute in the 2–1 2012 Conference Premier play-off Final win over Luton Town, seeing the club win promotion to League Two after an eight-year absence from the Football League. He finished the season with 55 appearances and scored 13 goals. After making 33 appearances and scoring four goals for York in the 2012–13 season he was released by the club on 30 April 2013.
McLaughlin joined Conference Premier team Grimsby Town on a two-year contract on 28 June 2013. Following his first season with Grimsby, in which he was a regular in the team that was defeated in the semi-final of both the Conference Premier play-offs and the FA Trophy, McLaughlin found himself less involved with first team affairs during the 2014–15 season. This prompted him to join Conference North side Harrogate Town on loan in March 2015.
- As of match played 18 April 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|York City||2011–12||Conference Premier||44||10||1||1||—||10[a]||2||55||13|
|Grimsby Town||2013–14||Conference Premier||31||3||3||1||—||6[c]||1||40||5|
|Harrogate Town||2014–15||Conference North||4||1||—||—||—||4||1|
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). Premier League. 1 February 2011. p. 29. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Patrick McLaughlin". NIFG. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Players: Patrick McLaughlin". Premier League. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- King, Dan. "Deals Offered To Young Pair". Newcastle United F.C. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "York sign Patrick McLaughlin from Newcastle". Vital York. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "York City sign midfielder Patrick McLaughlin". BBC Sport. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2012.
- "P. McLaughlin". Soccerway. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Maiden, Phil (20 May 2012). "Luton 1–2 York". BBC Sport. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- Appearances and goals for this season are taken from:
"Games played by Patrick Mclaughlin in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
"McLaughlin credited with goal against Gillingham". The Press (York). 5 February 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- Carroll, Steve (30 April 2013). "York City manager Nigel Worthington announces retained list". The Press (York). Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Grimsby Town: Patrick McLaughlin signs two-year deal". BBC Sport. 28 June 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Paddy McLaughlin off to a flier for Harrogate Town". The Press (York). 9 March 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "NI U21 squad named for England game". Irish Football Association. 9 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Patrick McLaughlin (footballer).|
- Patrick McLaughlin profile at Grimsby Town F.C.
- Patrick McLaughlin profile at Irish Football Association
- Patrick McLaughlin – UEFA competition record
- Patrick McLaughlin career statistics at Soccerbase