A peak organisation or peak body is an Australian term for an advocacy group or trade association, an association of industries or groups with allied interests. They are generally established for the purposes of developing standards and processes, or to act on behalf of all members when lobbying government or promoting the interests of the members.
While there is no official granting of Peak Body status, peak bodies are widely accepted as the legitimate "voice" or representative of a profession or industry, as opposed to just a geographic/commercial/cultural/political subset of that profession, as evidenced by requests for media comment and inclusion in government consultations. They often have to present codes of conduct or ethics which can be used in legal cases determining negligence, can conduct industry-focused lobbying, and also can be providers of mandatory industry training.
In the commercial sector they allow competing companies to meet to discuss common issues without the risk of breaching the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 which outlaws collusion between competitors which would affect the operation of a free market.
Examples of Australia-wide organisations include:
- Volunteering Australia
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Australian Conservation Foundation
- Australian Council of Social Service
- Australian Council of Trade Unions
- Australian Dads Network
- Australian Hotels Association
- Australian Industry Group
- Australian Youth Affairs Coalition
- Business Council of Australia
- Carers Australia
- Commercial Radio Australia
- FreeTV Australia
- Governance Institute of Australia
- Migration Alliance
- Minerals Council of Australia
- National Academies Forum
- National Farmers Federation
- National LGBTI Health Alliance
- People With Disability Australia
- Printing Industries Association of Australia
- Public Relations Institute of Australia
- Plastics Industry Pipe Association of Australia
- Rare Voices Australia
- Scarlet Alliance
- Sleep Disorders Australia
- Strata Community Association
- Universities Australia
- Wireless Institute of Australia
- Fitzgerald, Julian. Lobbying in Australia: You can't expect anything to change if you don't speak up!. Rosenberg Publishing. p. 22. ISBN 978-1877058363. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- Quixley, Suzi (2006). "WHAT IS A "PEAK BODY"?" (PDF). Abridged Version of What is a "Peak Body"? Summary & Analysis of Key Documents 1995-2005. www.yanq.org.au. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
|This article about an organisation in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|