Dame Pearlette Louisy
|Governor-General of Saint Lucia|
19 September 1997 – 31 December 2017
|Prime Minister||Kenny Anthony|
|Preceded by||George Mallet|
|Succeeded by||Neville Cenac|
Calliopa Pearlette Louisy
8 June 1946
Laborie, Saint Lucia
|Alma mater||University of the West Indies|
University of Bristol
Dame Calliopa Pearlette Louisy GCSL, GCMG (born 8 June 1946) was the Governor-General of Saint Lucia from 1997 to 2017. She was the first woman to hold this office, into which she was sworn on 19 September 1997, and resigned from on 31 December 2017.
Born in the village of Laborie, Louisy attended the Laborie Infant School and Primary Schools. In 1960 she proceeded to the Saint Joseph's Convent on the Javouhey Scholarship. In 1966, a year after the completion of her secondary education she was awarded the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) scholarship to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in English and French at the University of the West Indies at Cave Hill, Barbados.
In 1972, she was awarded the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan to pursue a M.A. degree in Linguistics, in the field of Didactics at the Université Laval in Quebec City, Canada. In 1991, she proceeded to the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom, where she read for a Ph.D. degree in Education.
Louisy has contributed significantly to the development of Education in Saint Lucia, having spent most of her professional life in the teaching profession. During the periods 1969–72 and 1975–76 she taught at the St Joseph's Convent. From 1976 to 1986, she served as a tutor of French, and was subsequently appointed as Principal of the St. Lucia A Level College. When the A Level College and Morne Technical School merged into the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, she first served as Dean, and was subsequently appointed as the Vice Principal and Principal of the College.
In 1999 Louisy was awarded the Honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D.) by the University of Bristol. On 16 July 1999 she was appointed Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael and St. George. In 2011, she received an Honorary Doctor of Laws (LLB) from the University of West Indies.
- – United Kingdom : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (GCMG)
- – United Kingdom : Dame of Grace of the Most Venerable Order of St. John (DStJ)
- "Dame Pearlette Louisy, Alwin Bully to Receive UWI Open Campus Honorary Doctorates". Kingston Gleaner. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 3 February 2016 – via Newspaper Archive. (Subscription required (help)).
- "Pearlette Louisy – The Dame on the Hill". Kreol. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "No. 55561". The London Gazette. 23 July 1999. p. 7973.
- "No. 56198". The London Gazette. 9 May 2001. p. 5531.
- "HER EXCELLENCY Dame Calliopa Pearlette LOUISY, GCMG, GCSL, D.St.J., Ph.D, LL.D (Hon.), FRSA. Governor General of St. Lucia". Government House of Antigua and Barbuda. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
| Governor-General of Saint Lucia