Pennsylvania Route 238
|Maintained by PennDOT and West Manchester Township|
|Length:||5.396 mi (8.684 km)|
|Existed:||1961 – present|
|West end:||PA 74 in Shiloh|
|I-83 in Emigsville|
|East end:||PA 181 in Emigsville|
Pennsylvania Route 238 (PA 238) is a state highway located entirely in York County, Pennsylvania. The western terminus of the route is at Pennsylvania Route 74 in Shiloh. The eastern terminus is at Pennsylvania Route 181 in Emigsville. PA 238 is a two-lane undivided road passing through suburban and rural areas to the northwest of York. The route has an interchange with Interstate 83 (I-83) at exit 24 in Emigsville. The road between Shiloh and Emigsville was paved in the 1930s. PA 238 was assigned to its current alignment in the 1960s.
PA 238 begins at an intersection with PA 74 in the community of Shiloh in West Manchester Township, heading northeast on two-lane undivided Church Road past homes. The road crosses into Manchester Township at the Roosevelt Avenue intersection, passing through a mix of farmland and housing developments, passing through Foustown. Farther northeast, the route passes through Roundtown prior to turning east onto Farmtrail Road. At this point, PA 238 passes commercial development and becomes Church Road again before reaching an interchange with I-83. After this interchange, the route continues past distribution centers to its eastern terminus at PA 181 in the community of Emigsville.
When routes were first legislated in Pennsylvania in 1911, the present-day alignment of PA 238 was not assigned a number. By 1926, the current route was an unnumbered, unpaved road. The present-day route was paved in the 1930s. PA 238 was designated in the 1960s to follow its current alignment between PA 74 in Shiloh and PA 181 in Emigsville, with an interchange at I-83 to the west of Emigsville.
The entire route is in York County.
|West Manchester Township||0.000||0.000||PA 74 (Carlisle Road)|
|Manchester Township||4.585||7.379||I-83 – York, Harrisburg||Exit 24 (I-83)|
|5.396||8.684||PA 181 (George Street)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Pennsylvania state roads". Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access. Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. 2013. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Google (February 23, 2011). "overview of Pennsylvania Route 238" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- York County, Pennsylvania Highway Map (PDF) (Map). PennDOT. 2011. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- Map of Pennsylvania Showing State Highways (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1911. Retrieved January 1, 2014.
- Map of the Public Roads in York County, Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1926. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- Official Road Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1940. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- Official Map of Pennsylvania (PDF) (Map). Pennsylvania Department of Highways. 1970. Retrieved December 17, 2014.