Pete the Cat
|Genre||Picture book, song|
|Followed by||Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes|
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes is the first in a series of American children's picture books featuring a fictional cartoon cat named Pete. The book features text and music by Eric Litwin and illustrations by James Dean, who had created the character previously. It was self-published in 2008, with a CD audio recording, and published by HarperCollins in 2010. I Love My White Shoes is the first of the series of books, which includes over 40 more books written by author/illustrator James Dean or by the husband-and-wife team James and Kimberly Dean, all centered on the character, Pete the Cat.
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes is the story of a cat whose white shoes get mucked up by various substances he steps in, but "Pete never loses his cool." Written as a song, its refrain is "I love my white shoes", changing to "I love my blue shoes", "I love my red shoes", and so on.
The book was self-published in 2008 and sold 7,000 copies in 10 months before it was picked up by HarperCollins – alerted by a YouTube meme in which two little girls read the book – and distributed throughout the United States and Canada. It rose to number 8 on the New York Times Best Seller list for picture books.
Author and illustrator
The book uses a character first devised by James Dean, an artist active in Atlanta, who drew up Pete in 1999 and in 2006 self-published The Misadventures of Pete the Cat. Litwin wrote a story about and a song for the cat, and the two began a partnership.
The collaboration between Dean and Litwin was severed in 2011. James Dean and wife Kimberly Dean continue to write and illustrate the Pete the Cat series, now over 40 books, together. Pete the Cat, the animated TV series which was released on September 21, 2018, based on James and Kimberly's children's books produced by Alcon, Appian Way and Phineas and Ferb co-creator Swampy Marsh was preceded by a New Years special on December 26, 2017 on Amazon. The cartoon includes the voices of Elvis Costello and Diana Krall.
In 2017, an animated holiday special, Pete the Cat: A Groovy New Year, was released on Amazon Prime. Jacob Tremblay starred as the title character, with his parents voiced by Elvis Costello and Diana Krall. Additional voices were provided by Atticus Shaffer, KT Tunstall, and Don Was. It was followed by a series which was released on September 21, 2018.
- Doyle, Maya. "Rev. of Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes". Time Out New York. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- Oliviero, Helena (April 17, 2010). "Atlanta's 'Pete the Cat' makes literary, artistic strides". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- "Battle of Atlanta: 142nd Anniversary. Civil War showdown revisited: Ghostly tales, tours of sites will mark turning point for re-enactment". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. July 20, 2006. pp. JB4. Retrieved April 20, 2010.
- Oliviero, Helena (May 24, 2009). "Sharing lives, work is an art". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved April 21, 2010.
- Dean, James. The Misadventures of Pete the Cat. Indigo Custom. Retrieved August 12, 2010.
- "Center for the Book announces list of 25 books for young Georgians". Georgia Public Library Service News. Atlanta, GA: Georgia Public Library Service. 8 (2): 5. ISSN 1546-511X.
- "25 Books All Young Georgians Should Read". Georgia Center for the Book. 2010. Retrieved October 28, 2010.
- Grow, Kory (December 19, 2017). "Elvis Costello's New Year's Resolution: 'Enjoying Everything Still Enjoyable'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved December 23, 2017.