Glob in a Danish peat field.
|Born||20 February 1911|
|Died||20 July 1985(aged 74)|
|Spouse(s)||Harriet Glob (born Roepstorff)|
|Children||Lotte Glob, Anders Glob, Martin Glob, Henriette Glob, Elsebeth Glob|
Peter Vilhelm Glob (20 February 1911 – 20 July 1985), also known as P.V. Glob, was a Danish archaeologist who worked as the Director General of Museums and Antiquities for the state of Denmark and was also the Director of the National Museum in Copenhagen.
Glob was most noted for his investigations of Denmark's bog bodies such as Tollund Man and Grauballe Man -- mummified remains of Iron and Bronze Age people found preserved within peat bogs. His anthropological works include The Bog People: Iron Age Man Preserved; Denmark: An Archaeological History from the Stone Age to the Vikings; and Mound People: Danish Bronze-Age Man Preserved.
He was co-founder of the Scandinavian Institute of Comparative Vandalism, an institution which studied the history of graffiti. Glob was the son of the Danish painter Johannes Glob and the father of the Danish ceramic artist Lotte Glob, painter Anders Glob, electrician Martin Glob, seamstress Henriette Glob and biologist Elsebeth Glob. His most famous investigation was that of the Tollund Man.
Glob was also heavily engaged in archaeology of the Middle East and led several scientific expeditions there. They have been described as some of the largest scientific cross-border expeditions from Denmark ever.
- Mosefolket - Jernalderens mennesker bevaret i 2000 år, Gyldendal, 1965
- Denmark: An Archaeological History from the Stone Age to the Vikings, Cornell University Press, 1971, 351 pg, ISBN 0-8014-0641-2
- Danish Prehistoric Monuments, Faber and Faber, 1971, 351, ISBN 0-571-08782-5
The two previous book editions derive from the same original book written in Danish: Danske Oltidsminder, best translated as Memorials of Ancient Denmark. See American Anthropologist, Volume 75, Issue 6, page 1940.
- Mound People: Danish Bronze-Age Man Preserved , Cornell University Press, 1974, 184 pg, ISBN 978-0-8014-0800-7
- Danefæ. Til Hendes Majestaet Dronning Margrethe II, 16 April 1980.
- Flemming Højlund (1999): Glob and the Garden of Eden: the Danish expeditions to the Arabian Gulf, Moesgård Museum, trsl. by Peter Crabb.
- Flemming Højlund (1999). Glob og Paradisets have. De danske ekspeditioner til Den Arabiske Golf (in Danish). Moesgård Museum. ISBN 87-87334-32-1. Retrieved 5 October 2014.. Translated to English by Peter Crabb ("Glob and the Garden of Eden") and Arabic by Mohammed Bander ("Ghūlub wa-jannat al-firdaws").
|This biographical article about an archaeologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Danish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|