Peter James (cinematographer)
|Occupation||Cinematographer, director of photography|
|Years active||1973 — present|
Peter James (born 7 March 1947 in Sydney) is an Australian cinematographer and director of photography. James is a member of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC), an organization that offers membership to directors of photography only "by invitation, based on an individual’s body of work".
James has been either cinematographer or director of photography on more than thirty films since 1973 when he worked on the Australian film Avengers of the Reef. James has won Australian Cinematographers Society's (ACS) Milli Award four times, Australian Film Institute's Award for Best Achievement in Cinematography three times and was nominated for the award for Outstanding Cinematography for a Miniseries or Movie at the 56th Primetime Emmy Awards for his work on the 2003 television film And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself.
In 1999, James was inducted into the Australian Cinematographers Society Hall of Fame for having "made a substantial contribution to the industry and the Society, as well as having left a legacy of fine work and having been responsible for training and influencing others."
|1973||Avengers of the Reef||Cinematographer|
|1974||Who Killed Jenny Langby?||Cinematographer|
|The Cars That Ate Paris||Camera operator|
|1975||Sister, If You Only Knew||Cinematographer
|Sidecar Racers||Camera operator|
|The Removalists||Camera operator|
|Inn of the Damned||Camera operator|
|1981||The Monster's Christmas||Director of photography|
|The Killing of Angel Street||Cinematographer|
|1984||The Wild Duck||Cinematographer|
|A Private Function||Clapper loader|
|1987||The Right Hand Man||Cinematographer|
|Echoes of Paradise||Cinematographer|
|1989||Driving Miss Daisy||Director of photography|
|1991||Black Robe||Director of photography|
|1992||Rich in Love||Director of photography|
|The Thing Called Love||Cinematographer|
|1994||Silent Fall||Director of photography|
|Richie Rich||Additional photographer|
|1997||Paradise Road||Director of photography|
|1998||The Newton Boys||Director of photography|
|1999||Double Jeopardy||Director of photography|
|2000||Meet the Parents||Director of photography|
|2001||Bride of the Wind||Cinematographer|
|The Man Who Sued God||Cinematographer|
|2003||And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself||Cinematographer|
|The Big White||Director of photography|
|Cheaper by the Dozen 2||Cinematographer|
|2008||27 Dresses||Director of photography|
|2009||Mao's Last Dancer||Director of photography|
|2018||Ladies in Black||Director of photography|
- "Picture Perfect: A conversation with cinematographer Peter James" Flickering Myth. Retrieved 2015-4-13.
- American Society of Cinematographers Roster Archived 12 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine, American Society of Cinematographers. Accessed 12 February 2010.
- The Legacy Lives On, American Society of Cinematographers. Accessed 12 February 2010.
- The Milli Award Archived 21 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine, Australian Cinematographers Society; accessed 12 February 2010.
- AFI Award Winners, Feature Categories 1958-2008
- And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself, The New York Times; accessed 12 February 2010.
- Hall of Fame Archived 18 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine, Australian Cinematographers Society; accessed 12 February 2010.
- "The Screen Guide Ladies in Black 2018". Screen Australia. Retrieved 22 September 2018.