Peter Lewis (rugby league)
30 May 1979 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||98 kg (216 lb)|
As of 31 December 2008
Peter Lewis is a rugby league player. His position of preference is at Centre.
A junior from Wellington's Upper Hutt, Lewis was signed by the Auckland Warriors in 1998 and moved to Auckland. In Auckland he played for the Warriors unbeaten reserve grade side in 1998 and was good enough to be selected for the Junior Kiwis. He attracted some interest from Australian clubs in 1999 but opted to remain with the Warriors. His decision was rewarded as he finally cracked first grade and played eleven games for the club. In the weeks he was not selected by the Warriors he played for Brisbane Souths in the Queensland Cup or Auckland North in the National Provincial Competition. In 2000 he played for the Mt Albert Lions in the Bartercard Cup.
Not wanted by the Warriors, Lewis moved to Australia in 2003, signing with the Penrith Panthers. Here he played two first grade games and also turned out for the St Mary's Cougars in the NSWRL Premier League.
He left the Panthers in 2005, signing a one-year contract with the Parramatta Eels. He played in pre-season trials for the first grade team but spent the season in the Premier League. However his form was good enough to earn a new contract for 2006. In 2006 he returned to first grade, playing two games for the Eels. However he then returned to Premier League competition.
In 2004 he was again the subject of a tug of war, with the NSW Māori and the Cook Islands both selecting him in their squads for the 2004 Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Tournament. He opted to play for the Cook Islands.
- Peter Lewis bio rugbyleague.co.nz
- New Zealand Rugby League Annual '98, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1998. p.181
- Jessup, Peter (16 March 1999). "Rugby League: Injury gives Hoppe a starting chance". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- Lions roar after slow start The Press 17 June 2000
- Rugby league teams for semi-finals Sydney Morning Herald, 17 September 2003
- 2005 Player Movements[dead link] Darryl's Rugby League
- "Warriors team named for trial match". Television New Zealand. 8 February 2005. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- Rugby league teams Sydney Morning Herald, 7 September 2005
- 2006 Player Movements[dead link] Darryl's Rugby League
- Tim Smith remains in Premier League rleague.com, 23 May 2006
- Kiwis will test survival hope of Islands The Telegraph, 2 November 2000
- Oceanic Pacifica Rugby League Media Release League Unlimited
- Island Nations Denied Top League Talent Pacific Magazine, 27 September 2006