Peter Mayo (born 2 May 1955) is a professor, speaker, editor, writer, and former head of the Department of Arts, Open Communities and Adult Education at the University of Malta, in Malta. He formerly served as the university's head of the Department of Education Studies from 2008 to 2012. Mayo was a member of the Collegio Docenti for the doctoral research programme in Educational Sciences and Continuing Education at the Università degli Studi di Verona. He teaches in the areas of sociology of education and adult continuing education, as well as in comparative and international education and sociology in general. He was previously employed as a school teacher and later as Officer in Charge of Adult Education in the then Department of Education, Ministry of Education, Malta. Mayo has held visiting professorial appointments at multiple universities and was a Visiting Professorial Fellow at the Institute of Education, University College London during 2014. He was previously a member of the Collegio Docenti for the international doctorate in intercultural sociology and education at the University of Messina and was the President of the Mediterranean Society of Comparative Education (MESCE) from 2008 to 2010. He is serving as visiting professor at the Institute of Education, University College London (October 2016 - September 2018)
Mayo has published well over 100 papers and has been serving as book series editor for Sense Publishers, Bloomsbury Academic, and Palgrave-Macmillan. He is also one of the editors for the refereed journal Postcolonial Directions in Education. He also serves on the editorial advisory boards of several international peer reviewed journals including the International Journal of Lifelong Education, Journal of Transformative Education, and Educational Philosophy and Theory.
Awards and recognition
- Comparative International Education Society (CIES) Higher Education SIG Award for the best published research article on higher education from an international and comparative perspective (2011)
- Cyril Houle Award by the American Association for Adult Continuing Education (2013, with Leona English - for Learning with Adults: A Critical pedagogical Introduction)
- Invited as 'Noted Scholar' at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (2010)
- AESA Critics Choice Award for Liberating Praxis book 2005
- The National Museum of Fine Arts: Art Treasures in Malta (1995, Midsea Publications)
- Beyond Schooling: Adult Education in Malta (co-edited with Godfrey Baldacchino, Mireva, Malta, 1997)
- Gramsci, Freire and Adult Education (Zed Books, London, 1999); also published in Catalan (Crec, Xativa-Valencia), Portuguese (Artmed, Porto Alegre), German (Argument Verlag, Hamburg), Italian (Carlo Delfino Editore, Sassari), Spanish (Instituto Paulo Freire de España y edicions del CREC; col.laboradores: denes editorial y diálogos.red, Valencia) Turkish (UTOPYA, Ankara) and Japanese (TaroJiro-Sha Editus Co., Ltd.)
- Gramsci and Education (co-edited with Carmel Borg and Joseph A. Buttigieg, Rowman & Littlefield, Maryland, 2002) also published in Turkish (Kalkedon, Istanbul), Spanish (Xativa-Valencia, denes editorial y diálogos.red)and Catalan translation (Crec, Xativa).
- Liberating Praxis: Paulo Freire's Legacy for Radical Education and Politics (Praeger, Westport CT, 2004), AESA Critics Choice Award 2005; in paperback by Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, 2008;in Catalan translation, as La Praxi Alliberadora. El Llegat de Paulo Freire per a l’Educació Radical i Politica, (Xativa, Denes editorial, Crec, 2008); also published, in Turkish translation, as Özgürlestiren Praksis - Paulo Freire'nin Radikal Eğitim ve politica Mirasi (Ankara, Dipnot, 2012).
- Learning and Social Difference. (co-authored with Carmel Borg, London and New York City, Routledge, Taylor & Francis, 2006 - originally published by Paradigm)
- Education, Society and Leadership (co-edited with Mary Darmanin, Allied Publishers, Malta, 2007),
- Adult Education in Malta (DVV-International, Bonn, 2007)
- Public Intellectuals, Radical Democracy and Social Movements. A Book of Interviews (with Carmel Borg, Peter Lang Publishers, New York, 2007).
- Mediterranean Studies in Comparative Education, (co-edited with Carmel Borg and Ronald G. Sultana, MESCE and EMCER, 2009).
- Education in Small States. Global Imperatives, Regional Initiatives and Local Dilemmas (edited, London & New York City, Routledge, Taylor & Francis 2009)
- Gramsci and Educational Thought (edited, Oxford and New York, Wiley-Blackwell, 2010) also published in Turkish translation, as Gramsci ve Eğitsel Düşünce (Istanbul, Kalkedon, 2010).
- Learning with Adults. A Critical Pedagogical Introduction (co-authored with Leona English, Rotterdam, Sense Publishers, 2012). Winner of 2013 Cyril Houle Award for "outstanding literature in adult education" ; also published in Spanish translation, as Aprendiendo con personas adultas. una introducción crítica y pedagógica (Xativa, Instituto Paulo Freire de España, Dialogos, CREC, 2013); also published, in Catalan translation, as Aprenent amb persones adultes: una introducció crítica i pedagògica (Xativa, Instituto Paulo Freire de España, CREC, 2013)
- Echoes from Freire for a Critically Engaged Pedagogy (New York City & London, Bloomsbury Academic, 2012)
- Politics of Indignation. Imperialism, Postcolonial Disruptions and Social Change (Alresford, Hants, Zer0 Books/John Hunt Publishers, 2012)
- Learning with Adults. A Reader (edited) (Rotterdam, Boston & Taipei: Sense, 2013)
- Lorenzo Milani, the School of Barbiana and the Struggle for Social Justice (co-authored with Federico Batini and Alessio Surian, New York & Frankfurt, Peter Lang, 2014).
- Práctica de la Práctica. compromiso y libertad en las experiencias educativas emancipadoras, (Xativa: Instituto Paulo Freire de España, Dialogos, Tarepa PV, 2014).
- Hegemony and Education under Neoliberalism. Insights from Gramsci (New York City & London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis 2015)
- International Critical Pedagogy Reader (co-edited with Antonia Darder and João Paraskeva), New York and London, Routledge, Taylor & Francis 2015)
- Saggi di Pedagogia Critica.Oltre il Neoliberismo. Analizzando educatori, lotte e movimenti sociali, co-authored with Paolo Vittoria (Florence: Società Editrice Fiorentina, 2017).
- "The National Museum of Fine Arts : art treasures in Malta". WorldCat.org.