Pfafftown, North Carolina
Pfafftown, North Carolina
|Coordinates: 36°9′12″N 80°21′40″W / 36.15333°N 80.36111°WCoordinates: 36°9′12″N 80°21′40″W / 36.15333°N 80.36111°W|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||336 and 743|
Pfafftown (/ˈpɑːftaʊn/ PAHF-town) is an unincorporated community in North Carolina, United States which has been partially annexed into the cities of Winston-Salem in Forsyth County and Lewisville, also in Forsyth County. As of the 2000 census, the ZCTA of Pfafftown had a population of 2,043. It is a Piedmont Triad community.
In 1784, Peter Pfaff Sr. bought land west of Muddy Creek. A post office came to the community in 1888.
Pfaff's house, the John Jacob Schaub House and Waller House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
After Clemmons and Lewisville incorporated, Pfafftown tried in 2001 to do the same but was not successful. Instead, much of the community was annexed by Lewisville or Winston-Salem in 2006.
Pfafftown's Zip Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA) has a population of about 2,043 as of the 2000 census. The population is about 49% male and 51% female. About 86.6% of the population is white, 8% African-American, 3.2% American Indian, 0.6% Asian, 1.5% Hispanic, and 0.8% of another race. 0.9% of people are two or more races. There are no native Hawaiians or other Pacific islanders.
The average household size is 2.6 people, and the average family has 2.9 people. There are 3,783 houses, with 94.5% of them occupied, 91% bought and 3.5% rented. There are 214 vacant housing units.
Major roads in Pfafftown include Yadkinville Road, which goes through the community, connecting Reynolda Road in Winston-Salem to Old US-421 and eventually to Yadkinville. NC 67 bypasses the community, also connecting NC 150 in Winston-Salem to U.S. Route 21 in Jonesville. Other major routes include, Transou Road, connecting NC 67 to Yadkinville Road; Skylark Road, connecting Transou Road to Vienna-Dozier Road; and Lewisville-Vienna Road, connecting Yadkinville Road to Shallowford Road in Lewisville.
- George Greer, Major League Baseball professional hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Jim Drake (1929–2012), aeronautics engineer who is credited as the inventor of windsurfing.
- Craig Engels, USA and Nike middle distance runner
- ^ "Pfafftown ZIP Code". zipdatamaps.com. 2022. Retrieved November 11, 2022.
- ^ Pfafftown Pronunciation (forvo)
- ^ a b c Craver, Richard (September 20, 2015). "Historic marker keeps Pfafftown legacy out front". Winston-Salem Journal. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 8/25/14 though 8/30/14. National Park Service. 2014-09-05.