||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
February 24, 1984 |
|Years active||2009 - present|
Pieter Dirkx first studied painting at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp before starting film studies at Sint-Lukas Brussels. His first short in film school was ‘The Geometry of Beetles’, about a lonely man who considers his framed insects to be his only friends.
For his graduation project, Dirkx made ‘Bento Monogatari‘. It tells the story of Yvonne, a woman whose marriage has lost its spark. She tries to win her husband's attention by trying to drag him into the world of Japanese pop culture.
The film was first screened at ‘Het Grote Ongeduld!’, a showcase for Belgian film school graduates, where it won the CANVAS award (Belgian cultural television station) and the SCAM/SACD Audience Award. ‘Bento Monogatari’ was eventually selected for the Cannes Film Festival 2011 in the Cinéfondation programme. Other festival selections include the Hamburg Short Film Festival, Montreal World Film Festival, Brussels Film Festival, and Emir Kusturica's Küstendorf Film and Music Festival.
- "Festival de Cannes: Bento Monogatari". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Bento Monogatari Selected for Cannes". flandersimage.com. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "The Geometry of Beetles (2009) - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Bento Monogatari(2010) - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "A Video for Maniac". clapyourhandssayyeah.com. Retrieved 2011-09-24.