|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Pigou is an English surname of Hugenot derivation.
The Pigou family originated from Amiens in France. The name was related to pique or pike, and the Pigou arms consist of three pike heads. Two sons of Lawrence Pigou of Amiens – Jacques and John - fled from persecution in France and settled with their families in England in about 1685. All branches of the Pigou family became involved in trade with India.
Family of Jacques Pigou
The descendents of Jacques died out but there were two notable members of this family. The Gentleman’s Magazine (January 1792) reprinted the letter of Captain Peter Pigou (1732-1783) describing his adventures in conveying a huge hydraulic organ from Madras to Aurengabad, for a speculative sale to the Nizam.
Family of John Pigou
John’s grandson Anselm Frederick Pigou (1683-1749) was a successful merchant with dealings in America. His son Frederick Pigou (1711-1792) was a Director of the East India Company, and also had connections with the tea trade to America. He was also co-owner of the gunpowder factory at Dartford, Kent. Subsequent generations followed these threads, being typically Artillery officers and serving in the Indian Army. All existing members of the Pigou family descend from Frederick. Many have emigrated to Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The Pigou vineyards are near Marlborough, New Zealand.
Pigou family members
- Arthur Cecil Pigou (1877-1959), English economist
- Elfrida Pigou (1911-1960), Canadian mountaineer
- William Harry Pigou (1818-1858), surgeon and pioneer photographer in India
- Major-General Arthur Comyn Pigou (1826-1903)
- Francis Pigou (1832-1916), dean of Bristol
- Louisa Pigou, married Henry Harford ( -1835), last proprietor of Maryland
- Georgina Pigou, mother of English MP Hugo Francis Meynell Ingram ( -1869)
- Catherine Pigou, mother of English playwright and MP Miles Peter Andrews ( -1814)
- Nina Pigou, wife of Alfred Inglis and mother in law of Air Marshal Victor Goddard (1897-1987)
|This page lists people with the surname Pigou. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|