|Developer(s)||Cybernetic Corporation / Software 2000|
WWAssemble Entertainment (digital re-release)
|Platform(s)||Amiga, MS-DOS, Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Genre(s)||Business simulation game|
|Mode(s)||Single Player, Multiplayer|
Pizza Tycoon (known as Pizza Connection in Europe) is a business simulation video game. The game was designed by the German company Cybernetic Corporation and Software 2000 in 1994, and was published by Assemble Entertainment after its re-release in 2017. It was published and adapted for the American market by MicroProse with changed artwork and locations.
The game is centered on being the manager of a pizza restaurant in a town in Europe or the U.S.. It gives the player the option to choose among more than thirty different characters, to create one's own pizza, have cooking contests and modify the display of the restaurant and kitchen. The player can call upon local mafia to sabotage competitor restaurants or get money from criminal activities such as weapon and drug dealing.
The game displays a playful sense of humor from the graphics and cartoonish drawings, game messages, and animated faces that are put on interacting characters. The original European version ("Pizza Connection") featured a graphical style very similar to MAD artist Don Martin. Microprose's adapted version ("Pizza Tycoon") for the American market distanced itself from this style due to copyright concerns with newly created characters in a different style modeled after famous people as Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan or Lenin.
Pizza Tycoon was followed by Pizza Tycoon 2, developed by Software 2000.
- Das sind die besten deutschen Computerspiele on welt.de "1994: Pizza Connection" (in German)
- pizza-connection-1-und-2-auf-gog-com-erhaeltlich on Eurogamer by Benjamin Jakobs (05/01/2017)
- Terry Greer's Microprose Misc graphics page Page the Microprose artist who worked on the conversion from the original German game.
- the-delightfully-odd-pizza-tycoon-is-now-on-gog-com on Destructoid by Jordan Devore (2017-01-05)
- Pizza Connection review on Amiga Joker (1994)
- Pizza connection on PowerPlay (1994)
- "Finals". Next Generation. No. 6. Imagine Media. June 1995. p. 107.
- Staff (November 1996). "150 Best (and 50 Worst) Games of All Time". Computer Gaming World (148): 63–65, 68, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80, 84, 88, 90, 94, 98.