|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Artificial intelligence Startup|
|Founded||Mountain View, CA, USA |
|Key people||Borui Wang, Derek Yan|
|Industry||Internet, computer software, photography, digital image processing|
|Products||Polarr Photo Editor, Polarr Photo Editor for iOS, Polarr Photo Editor for Android|
Polarr is an artificial intelligence startup headquartered in downtown San Jose, CA building photo management and editing. The company was founded in August 2014 by former Stanford University masters' student, Borui Wang. The company received initial funding from Pejman Mar Ventures and StartX. Polarr currently offers two products: Polarr Photo Editor and Polarr Album Plus.
In February 2015, Polarr launched an online photo editor. It was one of the earliest in-browser photo editors capable of editing RAW images.
In June 2015, the first mobile version of Polarr Photo Editor was released for iOS. The app was similar in features to the in-browser photo editor and received more than 250,000 downloads within the first 48 hours of availability in the App Store. An Android version was launched a month later in the Google Play Store.
Polarr was named by Apple as Best of the App Store for 2015 and 2016.
In October 2017, Polarr released a new app called Album Plus for iOS.
In March 2019, Polarr announced a $11.5m Series A to further develop offline AI led by Threshold Ventures.
- Polarr Photo Editor is the first product from Polarr. The image editor is available on all major platforms and operating systems. The company claimed that the app has been used by over 10 million photographers to edit images as of August 2017.
- Album Plus was launched in October 2017. Album Plus helps users to organize their photos on their iPhone's using AI on the phone, and not the cloud.
- Polarr 24FPS - Video Filter & LUT was launched in June 2019.
- "A Stanford grad built a more advanced Instagram, and it racked up 250,000 downloads in its first 48 hours". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Polarr Photo Editor – a pro-styled editor from the Windows 10 Store". Windows Central. 2015-10-21. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Best of Apple 2016". Apple.
- "Polarr raises $11.5 million for offline, on-device computational photography". Venture Beat. 2019-03-14.
- "Free Photo Editor | Polarr: Smart Photo Editing". Free Photo Editor | Polarr: Smart Photo Editing. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Perez, Sarah. "Album+ organizes photos with AI that runs on your phone, not in the cloud". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-08.