Jessop argues for conceiving governance as a provider of flexibility for decision-making structures opposed to rigid state bureaucracy or market laws. From this approach failures would equate to failures of the governance structure. According to him new constellations of governance may compensate for state failure.
Peters and Pierre state that it is the continuous task of government to adapt to growing complexity.
Dixon and Dogan write that constructive governance discourses are creative opportunities for people with disparate governance perspectives to find solutions to threatening governance failure.
Governance failure may also refer to what can also be described as policy failures − the effectiveness, efficiency, and resilience of specific policies. A frequently mentioned example of a policy failure is the War on Drugs.
- Active citizenship
- Group decision-making
- Legitimacy (political)
- Global governance failure
- Impact assessment
- Systems theory
- Collective problem solving
- Market failure
- Newman, Joshua (2017). Governing Public-Private Partnerships. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. ISBN 9780773550018. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Peters, B. Guy; Pierre, Jon (2016). Comparative Governance: Rediscovering the Functional Dimension of Governing. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781316738177. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Dixon, John; Dogan, Rhys (1 May 2002). "Hierarchies, Networks and Markets: Responses to Societal Governance Failure". Administrative Theory & Praxis. 24 (1): 175–196. doi:10.1080/10841806.2002.11029344. ISSN 1084-1806. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "End the Drug War". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Friesendorf, Cornelius (2007). US Foreign Policy and the War on Drugs: Displacing the Cocaine and Heroin Industry. Routledge. ISBN 9781134123940. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Peter, Andreas, (22 June 2003). "A Tale of Two Borders: The U.S.-Mexico and U.S.-Canada Lines After 9/11". Center for Comparative Immigration Studies. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "RONALD REAGAN'S WAR ON DRUGS: A POLICY FAILURE BUT A POLITICAL SUCCESS" (PDF). Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- Bagley, Bruce Michael (1988). "US Foreign Policy and the War on Drugs: Analysis of a Policy Failure". Journal of Interamerican Studies and World Affairs. 30 (2/3): 189–212. doi:10.2307/165986. JSTOR 165986.