Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1823 – John Oxley explores the Tweed River.
- 1851 – The New South Wales Legislative Council votes unanimously against transportation "in any form whatsoever, to any part of Her Majesty's Australian possessions".
- 1895 – Middleweight boxer Les Darcy is born.
- 1923 – The start of 160 consecutive days of over 100 degrees Fahrenheit at Marble Bar, Western Australia.
- 1923 – The Victorian Police strike commenced; half the police force in Melbourne went on strike and rioting and looting ensued.
- 1929 – Eddie Charlton, top-class snooker and billiards player, is born in Merewether, New South Wales.
- 1961 – Parkes radiotelescope officially opened by the Governor General.
- 2003 – Ted Egan, folk musician and public servant, becomes Administrator of the Northern Territory.