|Category:Rail transport timelines
- 1880 – The Miami Valley Narrow Gauge Railway in Ohio is sold under foreclosure; it will soon be reorganized as the Cincinnati Northern Railway.
- 1892 – Norfolk and Western Railway incorporates and leases the Columbus, Connecting and Terminal Railway in order to operate N&W trains into Columbus, Ohio.
- 1908 – The Chicago "L" Stock Yards branch serving the Union Stock Yards is opened.
- 1921 – Canadian National Railway closes the Henderson Avenue station in Ottawa, a station originally built by Canadian Northern Railway, in favor of Ottawa Union Station.
- 1956 – The Detroit Street Railway in Michigan officially abandons the Woodward Line, the last streetcar line in Detroit; a large portion of the equipment is subsequently sold for operation in Mexico City.
- 1960 – About 70 feet (21 m) of New York Central Railroad track following the Niagara Escarpment on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, New York, is destroyed by a rockslide.
- 1961 – The last Pacific Electric Railway line, connecting downtown Los Angeles to Long Beach, California, is closed.
- 1963 – The Kintetsu Kambe Line extension to Hiratachō Station in Japan opens, Ise-Kambe Station, the former terminus of the line, is officially renamed Suzukashi Station and the line is officially renamed as the Kintetsu Suzuka Line.
- 1968 – The last run of the Golden State passenger train on the Rock Island and Southern Pacific railroads departs Los Angeles.
- 1997 – CSX and Norfolk Southern finalize an agreement on the breakup of Conrail and division of assets between the two railroads.
- 2006 – Officials in Ottawa announce the selection of Siemens AG as the contractor to build the city's new light rail line.
- Morris, J.C., Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs (December 31, 1902). Annual Report of the Commissioner of Railroads and Telegraphs; Part II, History of the Railroads of Ohio - 1880. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "Significant dates in Ottawa railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. February 23, 2007. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "Railroad History Timeline, 1950-1959". RRHX - Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "Niagara Falls Railroads: A History". Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "The Red Cars of Los Angeles". University of Southern California. January 15, 2002. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "Today in Railroad History". Railfanning.org. 2005. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- "Significant dates in Ottawa/Hull street and light railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. September 16, 2006. Retrieved April 8, 2007.