Portello (soft drink)
Portello (also known as Portino and Ruby Mello) is a carbonated grape and berry flavored soft drink, its rich, fruity flavour can be compared to port wine or cola. It is believed to have originated in London, England in the 18th century, before spreading to colonies of the British Empire.
A grape flavoured soft drink named Portello was manufactured by Jubilee Ice and Soda Works in Uganda in the late 1940's. It was said to be more popular in Busoga than drinks produced by Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
A similar, however unrelated drink named "Portello" was developed in northern Sweden in the 1920's by Malmbergets brewery.
- "Aygee Gippsland :: Portino". www.aygee.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Retail". www.alpinebeverages.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Wimmers Originals". www.wimmers.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Cordial: Portello". www.murraybreweries.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- Badrick, Tim (2011-08-12). "Lost Treasures Music Review : WIMMERS PORTELLO RENAMED PORTINO TO SIDESTEP A COCA COLA ANTI-COMPETITION TRADEMARK". Lost Treasures Music Review. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- Rahemtulla, Nazlin; Fairweather, Margaret (2012-06-01). Rsvp Rice and Stew Very Plenty. FriesenPress. ISBN 9781770972674.