Claimed by Venezuela (as part of Bolívar state, to the west of Essequibo river)
|• Total||20,051 km2 (7,742 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.51/km2 (1.3/sq mi)|
Potaro-Siparuni (Region 8) is a region of Guyana. Venezuela claims the majority of the Region located west of the Essequibo River as part of Guayana Esequiba.
It borders the region of Cuyuni-Mazaruni to the north, the regions of Upper Demerara-Berbice and East Berbice-Corentyne to the east, the region of Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo to the south and Brazil to the west.
The main villages in the region are Campbelltown, Orinduik, Mahdia, Paramakatoi and Tumatumari.
The Government of Guyana has administered three official censuses since the 1980 administrative reforms, in 1980, 1991 and 2002. In 2012, the population of Potaro-Siparuni was recorded at 10,190 people. Official census records for the population of Potaro-Siparuni are as follows:
- 2012 : 10,190
- 2002 : 10,095
- 1991 : 5,616
- 1980 : 4,485
(including name variants):
- Arnik Village
- Kamana Village
- Kanapang Village
- Kato (Kato Village, Karto)
- Kopinang Mission
- Monkey Mountain
- Paramakatoi (Paramahatoi)
- Potaro Landing
- Tumatumari Landing
- Waipa Village
- ^ "Official Announcements". Archived from the original on 8 September 2016. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- ^ Macmillan Publishers (2009). "Administrative Regions - 8, 9 and 10". Macmillan Junior Atlas: Guyana. Oxford: Macmillan Caribbean. p. 37. ISBN 9780333934173.
- ^ Beaie, Sonkarley Tiatun (19 September 2007). "Chapter 3: National Redistribution and Internal Migration" (PDF). 2002 Population and Housing Census - Guyana National Report. Bureau of Statistics. p. 51. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 November 2007. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- ^ Beaie, Sonkarley Tiatun (19 September 2007). "National Population Trends: Size, Growth and Distribution" (PDF Download). 2002 Population and Housing Census - Guyana National Report. Bureau of Statistics. p. 25. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- ^ "2012 Population by Village". Statistics Guyana. Retrieved 8 December 2021.
Coordinates: 4°46′11″N 59°15′55″W / 4.769702°N 59.265391°W