Power Equipment Direct
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||2002Bolingbrook, IL, USAin|
|Headquarters||Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA|
|Products||Outdoor Power Equipment|
Number of employees
Power Equipment Direct (PED) is an online retail company based in Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA. The company began in 2002 selling pressure washers, and now operates ten niche Web sites selling different types of outdoor power equipment, including air compressors, chainsaws, electric generators, log splitters, lawn mowers, snow blowers, sump pumps, water pumps and accessories.
2002 to 2003
Jon Hoch founded Power Equipment Direct in 2002 following a negative experience he had while shopping for a lawn mower. Hoch originally ran the business out of his basement. PED's first Web stores were PressureWashersDirect.com and ElectricGeneratorsDirect.com.
2004 to 2007
Power Equipment Direct launched its third Web store, AirCompressorsDirect.com, in 2004. Three years later, PED began to see accolades from outside sources, being named to the Internet Retailer “Hot 100 List” as well as making the Inc. 5000 list. It also added SnowBlowersDirect.com to its repertoire of web stores.
2008 to 2010
In 2008, Power Equipment Direct added three more Web stores: MowersDirect.com, SumpPumpDirect.com and WaterPumpsDirect.com. PED was listed in Inc. 5000 for the second consecutive year and made the Internet Retailer “Top 500” list for the first time.
2009 saw the launch of two more Web stores: ChainSawsDirect.com and LogSplittersDirect.com. Power Equipment Direct was named to the Internet Retailer “Top 500” list for the second consecutive time and Inc. 5000 for the third consecutive year.
To accommodate for quick growth, Power Equipment Direct expanded into a new warehouse in 2010. The company again made the Internet Retailer “Top 500” and the Inc. 5000 list.
Until 2011, Power Equipment Direct operated exclusively as a pure-play Internet retailer. That year PED opened a physical showroom, located in Bolingbrook, IL. The company was named to the Internet Retailer “Top 500” list and the Inc. 5000 list for the fourth and fifth consecutive year, respectively.
In October 2011, Power Equipment Direct consolidated all its Web stores to one site, replacing the corporate Web site at PowerEquipmentDirect.com.
2012 To Present
Also in 2012, Power Equipment Direct was named to the Internet Retailer Top 500 list for the fifth consecutive year. PED ranked as the 197th largest online retailer.
In May 2015 Power Equipment Direct acquired eComfort.com, a direct to consumer online store in the heating and cooling (HVAC) industry.
- Power Equipment Direct
- 250. Power Equipment Direct Inc.
- ["Home Channel News" Apr. 1,2011. http://www.homechannelnews.com/article/ope-e-commerce-dealer-opens-first-store]
- [Internet Retailer. Demery, Paul. Mar. 31, 2011. http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/03/31/web-only-retailer-picks-bricks-and-mortar-fight]
- ‘Like’ this Bolingbrook business and $1 will go support troops
- Power Equipment Direct Partners With Operation Support Our Troops - America, Inc.
- Internet Retailer. Briggs, Bill. Oct. 21, 2011. http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/10/21/power-equipment-direct-consolidates-nine-web-stores-one
- Power Equipment Direct Launches Tillers Direct
- Internet Retailer. Demery, Paul. May 14, 2012. http://www.internetretailer.com/2012/05/14/power-equipment-direct-powers-another-e-commerce-site
- Internet Retailer http://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/images/power-equipment-direct-internet-retailer-2012.pdf
- Power Equipment Direct Unveils Chippers Direct
- Power Equipment Direct Unveils String Trimmers Direct
- "Closed Deal Announcement – Peakstone Serves as Exclusive Financial Advisor to eComfort.com on Sale to Power Equipment Direct « Peakstone Group – M&A Advisory". peakstonegroup.com. Retrieved 2016-05-15.