President Bridge, 20 January 2010
|Total length||5.825 km (3.619 mi)|
|No. of spans||25|
|Opened||24 November 2009|
|Daily traffic||40,000 vehicles/day|
The President Bridge (Russian: Президентский мост) is a truss bridge that crosses over the river Volga in Ulyanovsk Oblast, Russia, connecting the city of Ulyanovsk with the east side of the Ulyanovsk Oblast. It is the second longest bridge in Russia, and one of the longest bridges in Europe, with a length of 5.825 kilometres (3.619 mi), and 12.98 kilometres (8.07 mi) including the connecting highway .
The new bridge was built as the aging Ulyanovsk Bridge (built 1913–1916) could no longer cope with the growing traffic. It was constructed as a part of a federal modernization program and aimed at linking the European part of Russia with the Urals, Siberia and the Far East.
The design of the bridge began in 1980, and the construction in 1986, originally planned to take nine years. The first pillars were installed in 1988, and the first span in 1992. It cost a total of 38.4 billion rubles (2008 prices).
The opening ceremony took place on 24 November 2009, and was attended by the Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and Ilham Aliyev, President of Azerbaijan. At this stage only the first part of the bridge was opened; the lower tier of the bridge is scheduled to open in 2012. It took more than 23 years to build the bridge; completion was delayed significantly due to lack of funding and economic difficulties following Russia's transition after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- "Ulyanovsk Volga River Bridge". Structurae. Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- Мостовой переход через р. Волга г. Ульяновск (in Russian). 24 November 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Ульяновский мост будет сдан в следующем году (in Russian). 24 November 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Новый мост открылся в Ульяновске в тестовом режиме (in Russian). 17 November 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Виктория Чернышева (27 April 2010). Развязка над Волгой: Новый мост через Волгу в Ульяновске решил транспортные проблемы в регионе (in Russian). Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- "30 апреля на строящемся мостовом переходе через реку Волга в Ульяновске будет установлено последнее пролетное строение." (in Russian). Government of Ulyanovsk Region. 29 April 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Церемония открытия первой очереди Волжского мостового перехода (in Russian). 24 November 2009. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- Media related to President Bridge at Wikimedia Commons