|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
Priory is a three-piece American rock band based out of Portland, OR. The band formed in 2008 and released their first record on Expunged Records in 2011. The current lineup consists of Brandon Rush (Vocals, Bass), Kyle Sears (Guitar, Beat and Sample Production), and Miles Johnson (Drums). The band's single, Weekend, reached #15 at Billboard Alternative Charts and #26 at Billboard Pop Charts in 2014. The band's sound is a blend of electronic instrumentation and heavy guitar. Priory is currently on Warner Bros. Records.
Brandon Rush, Kyle Sears, and Greg Harpel formed Priory in 2008 in Portland, OR. They were joined by Rich Prinesberger on drums soon after formation and recorded their first record with Skyler Norwood, which was released by Expunged Records in 2011. The Owl Mag described it as marked by "smart lyrics in wonderful balance with the lovely harmonies and lush melodies". After extensive touring, the band's members downsized to just two: Brandon Rush and Kyle Sears. The two built a music studio in the basement of the Portland Cement Building, located in an industrial district of Portland, OR, and dubbed it LOUDWAR. There, they recorded their second full-length record titled Need To Know, which was mixed by Spike Stent and mastered by Ted Jensen. The album drew the attention of Warner Bros. Records before its release and the band signed a deal with Warner Bros. Records in 2013. Joined by touring musicians Miles Johnson, Joe Mengis, and Rian Lewis, the band toured heavily in 2014 through 2015 with bands such as The Kooks, Halsey, and The Kaiser Chiefs. They also took part in a festival circuit, performing at myriad festivals including Bonaroo, Life Is Beautiful, and Governor's Ball. LOUDWAR moved from Portland, OR to Vancouver, WA in 2015, and Brandon and Kyle began work on their third full-length record Alone With Me there in 2016, joined by now-official member Miles Johnson on drums. The three engineer and produce all of their own music. Alone With me is set to be released in the summer of 2017 on Warner Bros. Records.
Need To Know (2014-2015)
Priory signed to Warner Bros. Records in the spring of 2014. On June 30, 2014, Priory released their single "Weekend" on iTunes. On September 3, 2014, Priory premiered the video, directed by David Vincent Wolf, on Idolator; it stars actors Bailey Noble and Nick Krause. The band completed work on their second full-length album Need To Know, which was released in 2014 by Warner Bros. Records. They then left on a nationwide tour supporting The Kooks later in 2014, along with supporting artist Halsey. During the tour they promoted their first single Weekend, peaking at #15 on Billboard Alternative Charts and #26 on Billboard Pop Charts. Priory later flew to New York and performed on MTV Big Morning Buzz, and several months later performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live! in Los Angeles, CA. In 2015 the band left on tour as support for Kaiser Chiefs.
Alone With Me (2016 - present)
Brandon Rush, Kyle Sears, and Miles Johnson entered LOUDWAR Studios to begin writing for the band's third full-length album in January, 2016. Together with engineer Patrick Tetreault, the band wrote and recorded the full record in-house. Starting in November, 2016, Brandon Rush began on the mixing process for the album. Alone With Me is slated for release in 2017.
|Need To Know|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Weekend"||2014||89||15||37||30||Need To Know|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Brandon Rush: Lead vocals, bass (2008-2014, since 2016), guitar (2014-2016)
- Kyle Sears: Guitar, vocals, samples (since 2008)
- Miles Johnson: Drums (since 2016), bass (live, 2014-2016)
- Greg Harpel: Guitar (2008-2014)
- Rich Prinesberger: Drums (2008-2011)
- Joe Mengis: Drums (live, 2011-2015)
- Rian Lewis: Synthesizers and percussion (live, 2014-2015)
- Smyers, Darryl (June 29, 2011). "Priory's Brandon Rush Talks The Ups and Downs Of His Band's Potentially Religious Name". Dallas Observer. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- Mike Beebe (June 20, 2011)"'Priory' by Priory", The Owl Mag (blog).
- "Priory by PRIORY". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Weekend – EP by PRIORY". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- Ryan, Gavin (September 6, 2014). "Taylor Swift Shake It Off Still No 1 ARIA SINGLES". Noise11. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "Priory – Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "Billboard Pop Songs: February 28, 2015". Billboard. February 28, 2015. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Priory – Chart History: Hot Rock Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 10, 2014.