Type of site
Idolator is a music blog. Created by the blog network Gawker Media in August 2006, Idolator was later sold to rival blog network Buzz Media (later titled SpinMedia), which also owns Stereogum and Spin. In September 2016, the website was sold to Hive Media along with Buzznet and PureVolume.
From the 2007 departure of original head writer Brian Raftery until November 2009, the blog's head writer was Maura Johnston, who was the sole remaining original contributor for the blog before her departure. In April 2009, other contributors to the blog were laid off by Buzz Media, with the exception of Chris Molanphy, who offered to continue writing his 100 & Single column on a voluntary basis until Johnston's departure.
Idolator has had several moments of controversy, including one that was initiated by a post made by the blog that claimed that a post made by Wired News made several predictions that Idolator believed were widely inaccurate. The blog also took advantage of controversy surrounding the Pazz & Jop critics' poll by The Village Voice in November 2006.
- Weisenthal, Joseph (April 14, 2008). "Denton Slims Down Gawker Media: Gridskipper, Idolator, Wonkette Leave The Fold". paidContent. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- Rys, Dan (September 21, 2016). "SpinMedia Sells Idolator, Buzznet & PureVolume to Hive Media". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Riggs, Mike (November 9, 2009). "Maura Johnston Leaves Idolator – Arts Desk". Washingtoncitypaper.com. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Johnston, Maura. "A Moment Of Gratitude (With An Assist From Big Star)". Idolator.com. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Thill, Scott (October 27, 2008). "Nerd Beef! Idolator vs. Listening Post". Wired News. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- Sisario, Ben (November 30, 2006). "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bloggy: An Online Poll Covets the Territory Once Owned by Pazz & Jop". The New York Times. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
|This article about a blog, vlog, or other Internet publication is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|