Professional Hockey Writers' Association
The Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) is a North American professional association for ice hockey journalists writing for newspapers, magazines and websites. The PHWA was founded in 1967 and has approximately 180 voting members.
PHWA members vote for the following seven National Hockey League (NHL) individual awards: Hart Memorial Trophy, Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, Calder Memorial Trophy, James Norris Memorial Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy, Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, and Frank J. Selke Trophy. Members of the National Hockey League Broadcasters' Association vote for the Jack Adams Award (coaching), while the NHL general managers vote for the Vezina Trophy (top goalie). Members of the National Hockey League Players' Association vote for the Ted Lindsay Award. There are,several other NHL awards, including the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award and the NHL General Manager of the Year Award.
The association is dedicated to "preserving the rights and improving the access for members of the North American–based media who cover the sport of hockey all over the world".
- The Dick Dillman Award
- For the official list of award recipients, see footnote.
The Dick Dillman Award is presented annually to two teams (one in each NHL conference), to honor the work of each team's public-relations staff. It was created in 1994 and is named in memory of the late Dick Dillman, who coordinated the public-relations department of the then–Minnesota North Stars. For the award's first twelve years (1994–1995 through 2005–2006), it was presented to only one team (in the entire NHL).
- Dick Dillman Lifetime Achievement Award
- International Chapter
- For a list of the members of the International Chapter, see footnote.
- Canadian and U.S. chapters
- For a list of the members of each chapter in Canada and the United States, see footnote.
- For a list of PHWA's lifetime members, see footnote.
- Kevin Allen, USA Today
- Bruce Arthur, Toronto Star
- Dennis Bernstein, The Fourth Period magazine
- Larry Brooks, New York Post
- Scott Burnside, The Athletic
- Ken Campbell, The Hockey News
- Damien Cox, Toronto Star
- Craig Custance, The Athletic
- Eric Duhatschek, The Athletic
- Helene Elliott, Los Angeles Times
- Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated
- Elliotte Friedman, Hockey Night in Canada
- Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun
- John Hoven, Mayorsmanor.com
- Pierre Lebrun, The Athletic
- Bob McKenzie, TSN
- Sarah McLellan, Minnesota Star Tribune
- James Mirtle, The Athletic
- Craig Morgan, ArizonaSports.com
- David Shoalts, The Globe and Mail
- Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun
- Mark Spector, Sportsnet (President)
- Michael Russo, The Athletic
- Kevin McGran, Toronto Star
- Stephen Whyno, The Associated Press
- Greg Wyshynski, ESPN
- Terry Jones, Edmonton Sun
- Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal
- List of National Hockey League awards
- Ice Hockey Journalists UK (United Kingdom)
- Baseball Writers Association of America
- National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
- Pro Basketball Writers Association
- United States Basketball Writers Association (college)
- Pro Football Writers Association
- Football Writers Association of America (college)
- National Sports Media Association
- Duhatschek, Eric (April 8, 2011). "Handing out the NHL hardware". TheGlobeandMail.com. The Globe and Mail, Inc. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- Go to Awards Archive (PHWA official website; retrieved 2017-03-13) and scroll down to "Dick Dillman Lifetime Achievement Award" or "NHL Awards Archive" (and then click on one of the seven trophies, for the list of that trophy's recipients).
- "2015 NHL Awards". NHL.com. NHL Enterprises, L.P. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Awards Archive: Dillman Award Recipients". Professional Hockey Writers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "PHWA Awards". Professional Hockey Writers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "PHWA International Chapter". Professional Hockey Writers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Go to the PHWA official website (retrieved 2017-03-14) and click on "Chapters" and then on one of the thirty chapters.
- "Lifetime PHWA Members". Professional Hockey Writers Association. Retrieved 2017-03-14.