|Directed by||Ravishankar Venkateswaran|
|Written by||Ravishankar Venkateswaran|
Anwar Ali (dialogues)
|Produced by||Sindhu SK|
|Edited by||Manoj Kannoth|
Punyakoti (transl. Meritorious act), also released as A Truthful Mother, is a 2020 Indian Sanskrit-language animated film directed by Ravishankar Venkateswaran. It is the first animated film in Sanskrit.
Punyakoti is an adaptation of a picture book for children written by Ravishankar, was produced through crowdsourcing and it is the first Sanskrit animated film. The film got certificate from Central Board of Film Certification on 18 March 2020, but its theatrical release was halted due to Corona pandemic. Finally Samskrita Bharati premiered the film through online streaming platform Vimeo on 25 March 2020 and Netflix added the film to its platform on 31 March 2020.
Punyakoti is based on a famous folksong in Karnataka written by in the Kannada language about a cow that speaks the truth at all times. The story depicts man-animal conflict in a form that is both entertaining and informative. The movie carries the message of honesty and living in harmony with nature. The story is set in Karunadu, a village along the banks of Kaveri during the Vedic period. The original source of the folk-song is the eighteenth chapter of Srishtikhand of Padma Purana.
Punyakoti was first scheduled to release in 2016 but was later delayed to 2018. The film was shown at the 2019 Film Bazaar. The film was scheduled to release theatrically in April 2020 but was cast off due to the coronavirus pandemic and was released digitally on Netflix in the same month.
- Kannan, Indira (19 April 2020). "How Punyakoti, Sanskrit's 1st animation film, got made". Rediff.com. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- "India's First Sanskrit Animation Film has 30 Animators working on it and Ilaiyaraaja's Music". thebetterindia. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Bengalurean gives Kannada folk song animated avatar in Sanskrit". The Times of India. 13 June 2018. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- Govind, Ranjani (10 March 2020). "What did the cow tell the tiger". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- Govind, Ranjani (27 March 2020). "Watch the first Sanskrit animation film 'Punyakoti' at home". The Hindu – via www.thehindu.com.
- "First Sanskrit animation movie to crowd-source content". thehindu. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Kannan, Indira (3 April 2020). "Punyakoti: Old tale turned into 1st full length animation film in Sanskrit". Business Standard. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- K., Bhumika (24 March 2016). "Making the U-turn home". The Hindu.
- "India's first animated Sanskrit film Punyakoti to be released next month". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- Govind, Ranjani (27 March 2020). "Watch the first Sanskrit animation film 'Punyakoti' at home". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 April 2020.
- "Industry Screenings 2019". Issuu.
- Sharmindrila, Paul (28 March 2020). "Now watch Punyakoti, the first Sanskrit animated film at home between 10 to 14 April". Animation Xpress. Retrieved 8 May 2020.
- Paul, Sharmindrila (2 April 2020). "Punyakoti and Indian animation's way ahead on Netflix". Animation Xpress. Retrieved 8 May 2020.