Realiti (Grimes song)
|Song by Grimes|
|from the album Art Angels|
|Released||March 8, 2015|
"Realiti" (stylized as "REALiTi") is a song by Canadian singer Grimes. Originally slated for release on her scrapped fourth studio album, it was released as a YouTube video on March 8, 2015 as a thank you to her fans in Asia. The song was later announced to be included on her 2015 album Art Angels. The demo version was included as a bonus track on the CD release of the album.
Grimes originally intended the song to be released on her abandoned fourth studio album. She claims it to only be a demo that was recorded in early 2013, and that she has lost the original Ableton file, so it was never mixed and mastered. The version from the video was taken from an MP3 file that she tried to doctor into what she considered to be "a listenable state". Musically, the song is described as EDM and trance.
Despite being initially only a demo, "Realiti" received critical acclaim. MTV says that after listening to the song, "you’ll be wondering why Grimes left the track off her album". Stereogum agreed, saying that "REALiTi" was "a very good new song" and that "if she's willing to toss great songs like these into the ether, then when is she coming with something official?". The Atlantic notes that the song "is as good as anything on the radio" and goes on to claim that "the song is fabulous" and adds that the recording-quality issues don't prevent the song from sounding better than anything on the radio. Pitchfork Media claims the song is the best new Grimes release since Visions and calls it a "compelling step forth", which "absorbs EDM and trance in Boucher's seemingly infinite palette of sound".
The reaction to the song online was so positive that Grimes said she would consider adding it to her new album, although she believes she has "better". The announcement of the track listing to Art Angels revealed that she ultimately complied and added the song to the album.
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||30|
- Camp, Zoe (March 9, 2015). "Grimes Shares Video for Previously-Unheard Track "REALiTi"". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Grimes Shares New Demo 'REALiTi', Plus Track With Bleachers". 4AD. March 16, 2015. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Grimes (4) - Art Angels". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Grimes - REALiTi". YouTube. 2015-03-08. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Grimes uses surreal new music video to announce 'Art Angels' album". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Watch Grimes Dance Like Crazy In A Video For Her Lost Track 'REALiTi'". MTV. 2015-03-09. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- Rettig, James (2015-03-14). "Grimes Says That She Isn't Scrapping Music Because Of Negative Reactions". Stereogum. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Grimes's "REALiTi" Music Video Suggests Her Lost Album Would Have Been Amazing". The Atlantic. 2015-03-09. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Grimes: "REALiTi" | Tracks". Pitchfork. 2015-03-09. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- Murphy, Sam (2015-03-16). "Grimes Binned A Whole Album Because It Was "Depressing" - Music News, Reviews, Interviews and Culture". Music Feeds. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Top 50 Songs of 2015". Consequence of Sound. 2015-11-30. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Grimes Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 19, 2015.