RMIT School of Computer Science and Information Technology
|College of Science, Engineering and Health,
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
|Head||Prof. Athman Bouguettaya|
|Website||School of Computer Science and Information Technology|
RMIT's School of Computer Science and Information Technology is an Australian tertiary education school within the College of Science Engineering and Health at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT University) in Melbourne, Victoria. The current Head of School is Prof. Athman Bouguettaya.
The school is located in Building 14 (levels 8 to 11) in Swanston Street at the RMIT City campus. Previously the school was located in Building 10 at RMIT's City campus and also part of the school was located at RMIT's Bundoora campus.
The first computer at RMIT, an Elliott Automation model 803, was acquired at the instigation of the Department of Mathematics during the early 1960s, and located on the ground floor of Storey Hall. The School of Computer Science and Information Technology (which has had several names) became a separate academic department of RMIT in 1980. The first PhD in Computer Science awarded at RMIT was in 1988 to Dr Alan Kent for his thesis on "File access methods based on descriptors and superimposed coding".
In 1990, the Multimedia Database Systems group within the school became a research centre led by Professor Ron Sacks-Davis. Following the development of TeraText (a non-relational text database system), the commercial arm of the group (including TeraText) was in 2001 spun off into a separate company, InQuirion. RMIT subsequently sold TeraText and InQuirion to SAIC in 2006.
The following programs are all offered on the city campus in Melbourne. Some of the school's undergraduate degrees are also offered through RMIT Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City, Taylor's University College in Kuala Lumpur, and online through Open Universities Australia.
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Games and Graphics Programming)
- Bachelor of Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (Computing Studies)
- Bachelor of Design (Multimedia Systems)
Caii me +2348163064642 name tony
- Master of Computer Science
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Computing
- Master of Technology (Enterprise Architecture)
- Master of Technology (Internet and Web Computing)
- Masters by research - Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy by Research - Computer Science
- Annual Report 2011, RMIT University, p.36, retrieved 12 October 2012
- Murray-Smith, S and Dare, A.J (1987): The Tech: A Centenary History of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Hyland House Publishing, Melbourne, ISBN 0-947062-06-8
- 1988 Research Report, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, ISSN 0156-3939
- June 14, 2006 School's affiliated research centre sold to U.S. company, http://rmit.org.au/ID=86nrvpoy3t7u Retrieved on 2009-06-22.