Historic section of Storey Hall at RMIT's City campus, home to RMIT Gallery
|Location||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
The gallery is considered to be one of Melbourne's most vibrant art spaces and has a constantly changing exhibition program of architecture, craft, contemporary art, design, fashion, and fine art. It also presents regular talks, lectures, discussion, and public events and publishes widely on art and design research in partnership with RMIT Publishing.
The gallery is also charged as the caretaker of RMIT's permanent University Art Collection. The collection includes the substantial Linsday Edwards Collection of fine art and the invaluable W.E. Macmillan Collection of gold and silver—as well as a number of other sub-collections. The Linsday Edwards Collection has a strong focus on Australian art. It holds works by leading Australian artists (many of whom are alumni or former faculty of RMIT) such as: Howard Arkley, John Brack, Leonard French, Roger Kemp, Inge King, Max Meldrum, John Olsen, Lenton Parr, Fred Williams, and others.
A history of the art collection is documented in the publication A Skilled Hand and Cultivated Mind: A Guide to the Architecture and Art of RMIT.
- Edquist & Grierson 2008, pp. 111.
- . RMIT Gallery, retrieved 4 February 2019
- About. RMIT Gallery, retrieved 11 July 2013
- RMIT Gallery. City of Melbourne What's On, retrieved 15 April 2019
- RMIT Gallery. Art-Search.com.au, retrieved 11 July 2013
- RMIT Gallery. TotalTravel.com.au, retrieved 11 July 2013
- Publications Archived 2012-07-20 at the Wayback Machine, RMIT Gallery, retrieved 11 July 2013
- About, RMIT Publishing, retrieved 11 July 2013
- Collections. RMIT Gallery, retrieved 11 July 2013
- Edquist & Grierson 2008, pp. 105-127.